Dera Sacha Sauda asks followers to heed ‘conscience’ for votingMay 5th, 2009 - 12:47 am ICT by IANS
Sirsa (Haryana), May 4 (IANS) After days of dilly-dallying, the controversial Dera Sacha Sauda sect Monday asked its millions of followers to use their “conscience” while voting in the parliamentary elections.
The direction came from the sect’s political affairs wing.
The sect, which has scores of followers in Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan, can influence the outcome of voting in favour of any party or candidate. However, it did not give any clear direction to its followers on whether to vote for the Congress or the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) or Akali Dal.
Congress leaders in Punjab were openly soliciting support of the sect for the general election this time also. Pujab goes to the polls May 7 and 13.
A Dera spokesman said here there was no “party-specific” strategy by the sect but followers were asked to follow the path of the 7-point code of conduct for voting.
The code debars politicians who are directly or indirectly involved in distributing drugs, are morally or materially corrupt; are atheist or non-secular; ignore instances of female foeticide or take recourse to hooliganism.
The spokesman added that followers were free to back individual candidates irrespective of party affiliations.
The sect had openly supported the Congress in the February 2007 assembly polls in Punjab but had to face the wrath of the Akalis when the sect chief, Gurmit Ram Rahim Singh got involved in a controversy after attiring himself like 10th Sikh guru, Gobind Singh.
The controversial sect chief has been charged by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in two cases of murder conspiracy and one case of rape of a female follower.
A number of political leaders have made a beeline in recent days to seek “blessings” of the sect chief irrespective of the controversies surrounding him.
- Nothing wrong in seeking votes from sects: Amarinder - May 14, 2011
- Dera case: Court rejects police cancellation report - Apr 03, 2012
- Day-to-day hearing of Dera chief's rape case - Sep 28, 2011
- CBI court directs Sacha Sauda chief to appear in person - May 21, 2011
- CBI court's clean chit to Dera chief in murder case - Dec 24, 2010
- Congress banks on Dera support in Punjab - Apr 21, 2009
- Charged with murder, rape, Dera chief's support sought for polls - May 04, 2009
- Over 50 people detained for Punjab, Haryana violence - Feb 28, 2010
- Violence in Punjab, Haryana after fresh case against Dera chief (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Punjab, Haryana inching towards normalcy after violence (Second lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Amid tension, Dera congregation is peaceful (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2010
- Punjab town tense after Sikh group-Dera followers clash - Mar 08, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana calm after Dera violence (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Radical Sikh bodies reject sect chief's 'apology' offer - Apr 20, 2009
- Bus torched in Haryana, uneasy calm prevails - Mar 01, 2010
Tags: akali dal, assembly polls, beeline, bharatiya janata party, central bureau of investigation, congress leaders, controversial sect, dera sacha sauda, dera sacha sauda sect, dilly, female foeticide, guru gobind singh, haryana, hooliganism, murder conspiracy, parliamentary elections, party affiliations, political affairs, ram rahim singh, sikh guru