Dera chief questioned by Punjab police in HaryanaFebruary 8th, 2009 - 11:39 am ICT by IANS
Sirsa (Haryana), Feb 7 (IANS) Dera Sacha Sauda sect chief Gurmit Ram Rahim Singh was Saturday questioned by the Punjab police in this Haryana town in a case of hurting religious sentiments of the Sikhs by dressing up as the 10th Guru Gobind Singh.
The Dera chief was questioned by Punjab police officials at the police lines complex here amid tight security. Hundreds of his followers had gathered near the venue of his questioning and scores of police personnel were stationed to control the crowd.
A team of police officials from Bathinda town, led by a deputy superintendent of police, arrived here, 300 km from Chandigarh, to question the controversial Dera chief. The case against the Dera chief is registered at Bathinda.
The Punjab police team refused to say anything about Saturday’s questioning. Sect sources said there were several questions regarding the controversial dress worn by the sect chief.
The Dera chief has been questioned over a dozen times by the Punjab police in this connection so far.
The Punjab and Haryana High Court had last year directed the sect chief to cooperate with the Punjab police in the investigations of the case against him.
Punjab and several other places across India were on the boil for several days in May 2007 after Sikhs protested against the act by the sect chief in attiring himself like the 10th Sikh guru.
Even though he issued a limited apology later, it was rejected by the Sikh leaders.
- Dera case: Court rejects police cancellation report - Apr 03, 2012
- Day-to-day hearing of Dera chief's rape case - Sep 28, 2011
- Amid tension, Dera congregation is peaceful (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2010
- Bus torched in Haryana, uneasy calm prevails - Mar 01, 2010
- Punjab town tense after Sikh group-Dera followers clash - Mar 08, 2011
- Over 50 people detained for Punjab, Haryana violence - Feb 28, 2010
- CBI court's clean chit to Dera chief in murder case - Dec 24, 2010
- Congress banks on Dera support in Punjab - Apr 21, 2009
- CBI court directs Sacha Sauda chief to appear in person - May 21, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana inching towards normalcy after violence (Second lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Violence in Punjab, Haryana after fresh case against Dera chief (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Dera Sacha Sauda not allowed to hold congregation - Sep 03, 2009
- Punjab, Haryana calm after Dera violence (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Five women devotees killed in Haryana stampede - Apr 30, 2010
- Dera chief questioned by Punjab Police for four hours (Lead) - Dec 03, 2008
Tags: apology, boil, chandigarh, deputy superintendent, followers, guru gobind singh, investigations, police lines, police officials, police team, punjab and haryana high court, ram rahim singh, religious sentiments, sect, sikh guru, sikh leaders, sikhs, sirsa haryana, tight security, venue