Depute Rangarajan for Kashmir economic plan, Soz asks PMAugust 10th, 2010 - 6:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 10 (IANS) Expressing hope that the all-party meeting called by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will apply a healing touch to Kashmir, Jammu and Kashmir Congress president Saifuddin Soz said he had sought the services of economist C. Rangarajan to prepare an employment plan for the state.
“Unemployment is a serious issue triggering unrest among the youth in the Valley. I had written to the PM a few weeks ago to spare the services of C. Rangarajan, chairman, PM’s Economic Advisory Council, for preparing a new plan for employment and recruitment in the state. I am hopeful that PM will concede our plea” Soz told IANS.
Soz said planners and economists should take note that there are very few avenues other than government sector for employment in Kashmir. The state government recruitment procedure was “far from satisfactory and was not helping the educated unemployed”, he added.
Leaders of various political parties of Jammu and Kashmir are scheduled to meet the prime minister at 6 p.m. Tuesday. Soz will be among the Congress leaders in the delegation.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah will lead the delegation, which will include his father and Union Minister Farooq Abdullah, Deputy Chief Minister and Congress leader Tara Chand, the Bharatiya Janata Party’s legislature party leader Ashok Khajuria, Jammu and Kashmir National Panther’s Party chief Bhim Singh and Communist Party of India (CPI-M) legislator Muhammed Yusuf Tarigami.
The prime minister is scheduled to make a televised address to the people of Kashmir, sources said. He would outline the government’s readiness for talks and development after normalcy is restored, it is learnt. The speech comes just before Ramadan, the Muslim fasting month, beginning later this week.
Kashmir has been rocked by a cycle of violence triggered by stone-pelting street protests and retaliatory firing by security forces causing the death of 50 people, mostly civilian youth, since June 11.
- PM to discuss Kashmir situation with state leaders - Aug 09, 2010
- Congress steps up campaign for rotational chief minister - Dec 25, 2011
- Poll victory shows alliance unity: Omar - Apr 13, 2011
- My word on rotation of chief minister final: Soz - Dec 25, 2011
- Congress core group on Kashmir discusses Eid package - Sep 10, 2010
- Soz to meet Congress high command on AFSPA - Oct 29, 2011
- CCS may discuss Kashmir Eid package Saturday (Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Farooq angry over talk of chief minister's rotation - Dec 27, 2011
- Congress lambasts Omar for acting in 'arbitrary manner' - Oct 27, 2011
- Rotational chief minister decision upto 'high command': Soz - Dec 17, 2011
- Omar faces criticism from allies, opposition alike - Mar 26, 2012
- Decision on AFSPA in November: Omar Abdullah - Oct 28, 2011
- NC-Congress coordination panel to meet Saturday - Jan 06, 2012
- Soz welcomes rehabilitation policy for Kashmiri militants - Nov 28, 2010
- Build peace, solution will follow: PM to Kashmir (Intro Roundup) - Aug 11, 2010
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bhim singh, communist party of india, congress leader, congress leaders, congress president, cycle of violence, deputy chief minister, economic advisory council, employment plan, farooq abdullah, government recruitment, jammu and kashmir, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rangarajan, recruitment procedure, state unemployment, street protests