‘Deport foreigners tending Goa bars sans work visas’July 25th, 2012 - 5:49 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, July 25 (IANS) Foreign nationals tending bars in Goa without work visas should be deported, a BJP legislator said Wednesday.
Michael Lobo, a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MLA from Calangute, said there were several instances in his constituency where bars and restaurants were being illegally manned by foreigners who were in India on tourist visas.
Calangute has one of most popular beach stretches of Goa — from Baga to Sinquerim.
“Foreigners working in bars should be deported if they are not here on a work visa. They work in bars and thus deprive locals of jobs,” Lobo said.
“Foreigners running the businesses of restaurants and pubs should be banned because they do not give much to the state exchequer,” he said.
Goa gets nearly 2.6 million tourists annually, out of which half a million are foreigners. The Baga-Sinquerim stretch alone is visited by hundreds of thousands of tourists.
- Goa to spend Rs.36 crore to battle sea erosion - Jul 25, 2012
- Goa modifies poll code to allow booze, food till late night - May 01, 2012
- Poll strictures could hurt Goa's tourism season - Jan 24, 2012
- Facelift of two popular Goa beaches to cost Rs.10 crore - Mar 22, 2012
- Central forces to guard Goa during tourist season - Dec 06, 2011
- Erosion threatens Goa's beaches, says minister - Aug 01, 2012
- Foreigners in Goa under 'unobtrusive surveillance' - Jul 20, 2012
- Goa lawmakers slam dance bars, signages in Russian - Jul 31, 2012
- 43 foreigners overstayed, 7 Nigerians missing: Goa minister - Mar 19, 2011
- Two Nigerians held in Goa for overstay - Jul 14, 2012
- Goa to ban smoking on its beaches next season - Jul 14, 2012
- Night vision cameras to monitor Goa beaches - Jul 25, 2011
- British travel advisory on theft, drugs in Goa - Jun 26, 2012
- Lara-Mahesh wedding: Time to highlight Goa's disappeared beach - Feb 18, 2011
- Goa needs special status to retain its identity: Wendell Rodricks - Nov 02, 2011
Tags: baga, beach stretches, bharatiya janata party, bjp mla, calangute, constituency, foreign nationals, foreigners, goa, half a million, hundreds of thousands, legislator, lobo, locals, panaji, popular beach, state exchequer, tourist visas, work visa, work visas