Deploy choppers to rescue people in Uttarakhand: PMAugust 7th, 2012 - 7:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 7 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Tuesday directed the defence ministry to deploy helicopters to rescue people stranded in remote areas of Uttarakhand following flash floods and landslides.
The prime minister also assured Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna all possible help in dealing with the crisis.
“He has directed defence ministry to deploy helicopters to rescue people stranded in remote areas due to flash floods,” said a statement issued by the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
Torrential rains led to flash floods, cloudbursts and landslides in the sub-Himalayan region, killing as many as 31 people and leaving thousands stranded on the Char Dham Yatra route that takes pilgrims to Gangotri, Yamunotri, Badrinath and Kedarnath.
- PM, Sonia assure Uttarakhand all help (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Swaraj asks Shinde to evacuate pilgrims from Uttarakhand - Aug 07, 2012
- Rain kills six in Uttarakhand, pilgrimage halted - Aug 04, 2012
- 12 killed, 40 missing as rains pound Uttarakhand, Jammu (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- 12 killed, 40 missing as rains pound Uttarakhand, Jammu, Himachal (Second Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Bahuguna surveys damage in Uttarakhand, offers more relief - Aug 16, 2012
- 40 missing in Uttarakhand, rescue efforts on - Aug 05, 2012
- Landslides, flash floods damage roads in Uttarakhand - Sep 23, 2010
- Landslides leave three thousand tourists stranded in Uttarkashi - Sep 25, 2010
- Himalayan shrines to be closed for public next month - Oct 18, 2010
- Rains, floods kill 115 in Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand - Aug 19, 2011
- Tourists stranded in Uttarakhand - Sep 21, 2010
- Tourism ministry has no data on pilgrims: Kumari Selja (Spot) - Aug 21, 2012
- Two army officers buried under snow avalanche (Second Lead) - Sep 21, 2010
- PM expresses grief over loss of lives in Leh flash floods - Aug 06, 2010
Tags: badrinath, char dham, chief minister, choppers, defence ministry, flash floods, helicopters, himalayan region, kedarnath, landslides, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, pilgrims, pmo, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, vijay