Denied nominations, two RJD leaders join JD-UMarch 18th, 2009 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, March 18 (IANS) Unhappy over being denied party nomination to contest the Lok Sabha elections, two leaders of the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) Wednesday defected to Bihar’s ruling Janata Dal-United (JD-U).
Jai Prakash Nihad and Magni Lal Mandal announced their move to the JD-U at a press conference here, a day after RJD chief Lalu Prasad and Ram Vilas Paswan of the Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) announced seat distribution in Bihar.
As per the seat sharing formula worked out for Bihar’s 40 Lok Sabha constituency by the United Progressive Alliance, 25 will go to the RJD, 12 to the LJSP, and just three to the Congress.
Nihad and Mandal were unhappy after their name didn’t figure in the RJD’s list of candidates to contest the April-May general elections.
JD-U state president Rajiv Ranjan Singh said the joining of Nishad and Mandal will strengthen the social base of the party as both belong to extreme backward castes.
- Voting in Bihar for Rajya Sabha seats - Jun 17, 2010
- Paswan, Rudy win Rajya Sabha polls from Bihar - Jun 17, 2010
- Nitish Kumar's alliance heads for victory in Bihar (Second Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- JD-U, BJP take early lead in Bihar (Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Paswan's party colleague Sabir Ali joins JD-U - Nov 08, 2011
- Congress, RJD trying to confuse voters. says Nitish Kumar - Sep 21, 2010
- JD-U, BJP claim victory in Bihar, opposition struggles (Third Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Bihar ready for round one of elections - Oct 20, 2010
- Half a dozen RJD leaders leave party after being denied tickets - Mar 20, 2009
- Lalu congratulates Nitish, but not BJP - Nov 24, 2010
- Cross voting in Bihar Rajya Sabha polls (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Lalu to meet election panel over irregularities in EVMs - Dec 22, 2010
- Jailed criminal from Nitish's camp wins - Nov 24, 2010
- Paswan, Rudy make it to Rajya Sabha from Bihar (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- JD-U, BJP leading in Bihar - May 16, 2009
Tags: castes, general elections, lal, ljp, lok sabha elections, magni, mandal, nihad, nishad, party nomination, patna, prakash, progressive alliance, rajiv, ram vilas paswan, ranjan, rjd, sabha constituency, state president, vilas