Demonstrations in Lucknow against Hazare’s detentionAugust 16th, 2011 - 12:00 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 16 (IANS) People across various age groups and different walks of life held demonstrations in this Uttar Pradesh capital to protest the detention of Gandhian activist Anna Hazare in New Delhi.
People held protests at several places, including Hazratganj, Gomti Nagar, Aliganj and Vikas Nagar.
Shouting anti-graft slogans, people condemned the Delhi Police action against Hazare, who was detained Tuesday morning, hours before his planned fast against a proposed anti-corruption bill.
“It’s undemocratic…It’s all taking place at the behest of the central government, which is trying to gag every voice being raised against corruption,” Meeta Singh, a housewife, who participated in a demonstration in Gomti Nagar, told reporters.
Holding the tricolour aloft, Hazare’s supporters also played patriotic songs.
“In a democracy like ours, one has the right to protest in a peaceful manner. By detaining Hazare and others supporting him, the government is depriving the country’s citizens of their constitutional rights,” P.K. Garg, a retired professor, told reporters in Hazratganj.
Members of India Against Corruption, which has been backing Hazare, will also stage a sit-in at the Jhulelal Park here.
Residents of various localities will also be taking out candle marches in support of Hazare.
- Groundswell of support for Anna visible in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Lucknow celebrates as Hazare leaves Tihar Jail - Aug 19, 2011
- Lucknow teachers on mass leave to support Hazare - Aug 18, 2011
- Hazare's supporters on the Ganga too - Aug 22, 2011
- Hazare attracts young, old across Uttar Pradesh - Aug 19, 2011
- People in Lucknow join Anna's fast - Jun 08, 2011
- Thousands gather at Delhi's Chhatrasal stadium in Anna's support - Aug 16, 2011
- Support for Anna swells in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 15, 2011
- We are with Hazare, say activists in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 07, 2011
- Activists in Lucknow lend support to Ramdev's fast - Jun 04, 2011
- Cheers, slogans as Anna leaves Tihar for Ramlila ground (Second Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Ramdev supporters to continue protests against graft - Jun 12, 2011
- BJP to protest Hazare arrest across Uttar Pradesh - Aug 16, 2011
- Anna movement anti-democratic: Somnath Chatterjee - Aug 22, 2011
- Bollywood condemns Hazare's detention - Aug 16, 2011
Tags: age groups, anna hazare, behest, central government, constitutional rights, delhi police, demonstrations, gag, housewife, localities, lucknow, patriotic songs, peaceful manner, police action, slogans, tricolour, tuesday morning, uttar pradesh capital, vikas, walks of life