Democracy is the best system: Dalai LamaJanuary 11th, 2012 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
Bodh Gaya (Bihar), Jan 11 (IANS) Stating that democracy was the best political system, Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama Wednesday said “a country belongs to the people, not religious leaders or kings or queens or presidents”.
“The best way to rule or to govern people is by people… the best system is the democratic system,” Dalai Lama told NDTV news channel at the Buddhist Kalchakra puja in Bodhgaya.
Referring to his giving up the political leadership of the community last year, the spiritual leader said he is the same person. “I came here, as a Dalai Lama, as a Buddhist monk. My energy stands on spiritual feet.”
Stating he was in “a semi-retired position”, the Dalai Lama said now “all major decisions are in the hands of the elected political leadership”.
“I’m acting like a senior adviser… I have no direct control.”
He said the Tibetan refugee community outside has become quite mature about this democratic practice.
He said the Tibet problem is the issue of a nation and people should not rely on one individual. “I feel they take care of themselves, they look after themselves. So, I feel much happier, much calmer. The day I officially handed over, that night I had a very unusual sound sleep.”
- Dalai Lama prays at Bodh Gaya ahead of Kalachakra puja - Dec 31, 2011
- Bihar Police confirm terror threat to Dalai Lama event - Jan 07, 2012
- Dala Lama's security tightened at Bodh Gaya - Jan 07, 2012
- Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama's discourse - Jan 02, 2012
- Holy mess: Filth, mismanagement disgusts foreigners at Bodh Gaya event - Jan 08, 2012
- A year since Dalai Lama's historic transition - Mar 08, 2012
- The Dalai Lama: A year after devolving political authority - May 28, 2012
- Have not forgotten Tibetan struggle: Dalai Lama - Dec 15, 2010
- Tibetan PM-in-exile urges Dalai Lama to reconsider his decision - Mar 10, 2011
- Dalai Lama to retire, make way for elected leader (Second Lead) - Mar 10, 2011
- Will Dalai Lama reverses 600-year-old tradition? (Lead) - Sep 25, 2011
- Dalai Lama reverses 350-year-old tradition - May 30, 2011
- Dalai Lama gets Mahatma Gandhi peace prize - Jan 04, 2012
- Be responsible human beings: Dalai Lama - Dec 31, 2011
- Will decide on successor when I am 90: Dalai Lama - Sep 24, 2011
Tags: adviser, bihar, bodh gaya, bodhgaya, buddhist monk, dalai lama, decisions, democracy, democratic practice, democratic system, ndtv, political leadership, presidents, puja, religious leaders, sleep, sound sleep, tibet, tibetan refugee community, tibetan spiritual leader