Delhi to spend Rs.440 crore on roads, afforestation (lead)June 26th, 2012 - 8:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 26 (IANS) The Delhi government Tuesday approved 23 projects worth Rs.440 crore, of which a lion’s share of Rs.331 crore will be spent on the public works department’s (PWD) battered roads.
“The expenditure finance committee (EFC) has sanctioned 23 projects amounting to Rs.440 crore,” Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said, after presiding over a meeting of the committee.
Of the 23 projects, 20 are of the PWD and the rest are of the departments of forest, social welfare and irrigation and flood.
Besides roads, the rest of the amount has been earmarked for works such as tree plantation, afforestation and construction of homes for the mentally challenged.
Talking to reporters, Dikshit said: “The roads transferred by the Municipal Corporation of Delhi to the PWD are not in good shape. The condition of the roads is not satisfactory and they require urgent improvement, strengthening, widening and upgradation.”
While repair of 11 roads in east Delhi’s trans-Yamuna area will cost Rs.148.55 crore, an amount of Rs.154.42 crore has been earmarked for seven roads in south and west Delhi.
In north Delhi, two roads will be repaired at a cost of Rs.28 crore.
Dikshit expressed confidence that the projects would be completed within the shortest possible time.
The EFC also sanctioned an amount of Rs.47.63 crore for the construction of five homes for the mentally challenged.
Dikshit said the project for rehabilitation of degraded forest land in Asola Bhatti Wildlife Sanctuary and Dera Mandi was a challenging one.
“The area is rocky and spread out. It requires extra labour and attention,” she said.
- Delhi to spend Rs.440 crore on roads, afforestation - Jun 26, 2012
- Himachal road repair hastened ahead of apple harvest - Jun 03, 2012
- From streetscaping to lights - CAG slams Delhi government - Aug 05, 2011
- Delhi ministers find debris, garbage at Games' sites - Jul 09, 2010
- CVC finds major irregularities in Games projects (Lead) - Jul 30, 2010
- Small price? 11,500 trees face axe for Metro - Jul 31, 2011
- Delhi government diverted funds meant for SCs: NGO - Jul 08, 2012
- Delhi government to build flats for its employees - Feb 25, 2011
- Dikshit nailed by CAG, opposition demands resignation (Third Lead) - Aug 05, 2011
- Dikshit inspects Commonwealth Games road projects in Delhi - Jul 30, 2009
- Himachal gets Rs.171.22 crore loan for rural projects - Dec 13, 2011
- Delhi plans maintenance wing to protect Games infrastructure - Oct 20, 2010
- States to have automated vehicle inspection centres - May 24, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh chief minister bats for tourism in tiger reserves - Nov 17, 2011
- Over 724 crores released for police forces in states: Chidambaram - Nov 30, 2010
Tags: chief minister, crore, degraded forest land, delhi government, east delhi, efc, finance committee, good shape, irrigation, mandi, municipal corporation of delhi, north delhi, sheila dikshit, social welfare, tree plantation, two roads, upgradation, west delhi, wildlife sanctuary, yamuna