Delhi Police register case in cash-for-vote scamJanuary 29th, 2009 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 29 (IANS) Delhi Police Thursday registered a case and launched an investigation into the cash-for-vote scam involving three MPs following the directions of Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee.“We have registered a case. The Crime Branch has been entrusted to investigate,” Delhi Police spokesman Rajan Bhagat said.
According to police sources, the case was registered at the Crime Branch’s Nehru Place police station after the police received documents from the Lok Sabha Secretariat.
P.D.T. Achary, secretary general of the Lok Sabha, also handed over to the police bundles of currency notes the three Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MPs displayed in the house during a trust vote July 22 last year.
The three MPs — Ashok Argal, Fagan Singh Kulaste and Mahavir Bagora — alleged they were given the money by Samajwadi Party leaders to induce them to vote in favour of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s Congress-led government.
A later parliamentary probe absolved Samajwadi Party Amar Singh of any wrongdoing.
The police sources said that since the matter pertained to MPs, they would tread cautiously.
“We will first study the documents and then question people accordingly,” one officer told IANS.
The total cash the three MPs brought to the house that day totalled Rs.30 million.
- Cash-for-votes scam: Ex-BJP worker to be quizzed - Jul 19, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Police file supplementary chargesheet - Sep 30, 2011
- Second arrest made in cash-for-votes case - Jul 20, 2011
- Amar questioned, denies role in 2008 'horse trading' - Jul 22, 2011
- Meira Kumar sanctions prosecution of BJP MP Ashok Argal (Lead) - Sep 30, 2011
- Cash-for-vote: Cops furnish CD transcripts to accused - May 26, 2012
- Amar Singh to be questioned on cash-for-votes - Jul 20, 2011
- Working on cash-for-votes money trail, cops tell court - May 10, 2012
- Congress influencing police: Ashok Argal - Sep 06, 2011
- Cash-for-vote case: Police file another charge sheet - Apr 30, 2012
- Aide blames Amar in cash-for-votes scam, Amar denies - Jul 19, 2011
- Cash-for-vote scandal: SP, BJP MPs questioned - Jul 25, 2011
- Cash-for-votes case: Amar Singh, five others chargesheeted - Aug 24, 2011
- Cash-for-vote scam: Congress declines comment on allegations - Jul 20, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: BJP MP booked; bail pleas of three put off - Oct 03, 2011
Tags: argal, ashok, bharatiya janata party, crime branch, delhi police, fagan, lok sabha secretariat, mahavir, manmohan, manmohan singh, nehru place, parliamentary probe, party leaders, police sources, police spokesman, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajan, somnath, trust vote