Delhi Police geared up for Sunday’s civic polls (Lead)April 14th, 2012 - 7:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 14 (IANS) With less than 24 hours to go for the elections to the trifurcated Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), Delhi Police have intensified patrolling across the city, police said Saturday.
“All the security is in place and patrolling has been intensified,” a senior police officer said.
A total of 30,000 armed police personnel will be deployed during Sunday’s civic polls at 11,543 booths located across the capital.
The stage is set for polling in 272 wards of three new municipal corporations of north, south and east Delhi, where 2,423 candidates are in the fray.
While the corporations of north and south will have 104 wards each, the east Delhi corporation will have 64 wards.
Over one crore eligible voters are expected to exercise their franchise to elect the municipal councillors.
While candidates from the Bharitya Janata Party (BJP) and the Congress will contest from 271 wards, the Samajwadi Party and the Bahujan Samajwadi Party have fielded their candidates respectively in 99 and 215 wards.
This will be first time that 50 percent seats (136) will be reserved for women candidates.
Interestingly, the capital will also for the first time witness the participation of eunuchs as contestants in the polls.
Eunuchs who have mentioned their sex as “others” in the voters’ list have been allowed to contest from the general category wards.
The voting on Sunday will begin at 8 a.m. and end at 5.30 p.m.
The votes will be counted Tuesday.
- Delhi votes to elect new civic bodies (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Voting begins for MCD elections - Apr 15, 2012
- Delhi civic polls: Facts at a glance - Apr 15, 2012
- Delhi votes for three new civic bodies Sunday - Apr 14, 2012
- Average voting in initial hours of Delhi civic polls (Second Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Delhi votes to pick trifurcated civic body (Fourth Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Voting picks up in Delhi civic polls (Third Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Over 55 percent turnout in Delhi civic polls, highest in 15 years (Roundup) - Apr 15, 2012
- Delhi civic polls: BJP headed for win (Third Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Delhi votes for better civic amenities - Apr 15, 2012
- Counting of votes in MCD polls begins - Apr 17, 2012
- Delhi civic polls: 32 counting centres set up - Apr 16, 2012
- Delhi civic polls: BJP heads for big lead (Second Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Delhi votes BJP back to power in civic polls (Roundup) - Apr 17, 2012
- Delhi civic polls: BJP leading in early trends (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
Tags: april 14, armed police, bjp, booths, city police, civic polls, crore, delhi police, east delhi, eligible voters, eunuchs, mcd delhi, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, municipal corporations, municipal councillors, police officer, Samajwadi Party, voters list, wards