Delhi, Haryana chief ministers meet on water crisisJune 18th, 2012 - 10:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 18 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit met her Haryana counterpart B.S Hooda Monday in an effort to resolve the ongoing water crisis in the national capital, an official statement said.
“Both the chief ministers were hopeful that the things will be settled soon. A solution is being worked out,” a Delhi government statement said.
The two-hour meeting was focused on solving the dispute between the two neighbours over water release from Tajewala barrage. According to the Delhi Jal Board (DJB), the crisis was linked to Haryana reducing the release of raw water from the barrage in Haryana’s Yamunanagar district for Delhi.
The capital, with a teeming population of around 18 million, has a demand of around 1,100 million gallons a day (MGD) while the DJB supplies around 835 MGD. The ongoing crisis has left Delhi short of 45 MGD.
Union Water Resources Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal was also present at the meeting.
“The officials of Delhi and Haryana are in the process of finalising the solution. Both chief ministers were of the view that they will interact with each other on occurrence of any other minor crisis in the time to come,” the statement added.
- Water crisis in Delhi as Haryana cuts supply (With Image) - Jun 16, 2012
- Reduce water supply to VVIP areas: Dikshit to DJB - Jun 18, 2012
- Supply to Delhi water plant improves - Jun 17, 2012
- Delhi thirsty for water, crisis to deepen - Jun 21, 2012
- Checks on to ensure water quality: Delhi Jal Board - Jun 20, 2011
- Haryana flood threat rises after Yamuna headwork damaged - Sep 13, 2010
- Let civic agency manage Delhi's water supply: Mayor - Jul 06, 2012
- Ensure adequate drinking water supplies: Dikshit to DJB - Jun 13, 2012
- Delhi's parched areas to get water by Wednesday (Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- People pledge to make Delhi water secure - Mar 19, 2011
- DJB seeks to learn water recycling from Singapore - Jun 20, 2012
- Delhi faces water crisis, two treatment plants shut down - Dec 29, 2010
- Dikshit urged to get drinking water in primary schools - Nov 10, 2011
- MCD flays Dikshit for water quality - Sep 22, 2011
- Delhi seeks Japanese agency's help to end water crisis - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: 100 million, bansal, barrage, chief minister, chief ministers, counterpart, delhi government, government statement, haryana, hooda, jal, mgd, minor crisis, neighbours, pawan kumar, raw water, sheila dikshit, water crisis, water release, water resources