Defiant Jena still says ‘no’ to MoS postMay 30th, 2009 - 6:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 30 (IANS) Orissa Congress MP Srikant Jena said Saturday he was in talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh following his refusal to take up the post of a minister of state — having been a cabinet minister earlier.
Jena has not assumed charge in the chemicals and fertilizers ministry though he took the oath of office and secrecy as a minister Thursday, said party and official sources.
Jena told IANS that he was talking to the prime minister and “the top Congress leadership” — an euphemism for party chief Sonia Gandhi and her aides.
According to sources close to Jena, he has told the prime minister that it would be impossible for him to be a minister of state since he was a cabinet minister earlier.
But Jena is willing to work as minister of state with independent charge, the sources added.
DMK chief and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi’s son M.K. Azhagiri, a first time MP, is the minister for chemicals and fertilizers.
Jena, who joined the Congress in 1999, is the only party MP from Orissa to be inducted into council of ministers. The Congress has six Lok Sabha MPs from Orissa, up from two in the previous Lok Sabha.
Jena represents Balasore constituency.
- Pranab in Odisha to seek support - Jul 11, 2012
- Sonia meets PM over cabinet reshuffle (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Cabinet rejig: Patnaik sore over no Orissa face - Jul 12, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle likely Tuesday, Big 4 to continue (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle likely Tuesday (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Pranab hopeful of Mamata's support (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Bihar faces urea shortage, seeks help - Aug 23, 2012
- Alagiri answers first question in Lok Sabha - Aug 05, 2010
- Congress disapproves Kamat's resignation (Lead) - Jul 14, 2011
- Roy to be new railway minister; swearing in Tuesday - Mar 19, 2012
- Something old, something new in recast Team Manmohan (Afternoon Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Woman speaker for Lok Sabha? - May 31, 2009
- India set to have its first woman Lok Sabha speaker (Lead) - May 31, 2009
- PM regrets Trivedi's going; Mukul Roy to be sworn in Tuesday (Roundup) - Mar 19, 2012
- Uproar in Lok Sabha over minister's absence - Nov 25, 2009
Tags: cabinet minister, chief minister, congress leadership, constituency, council of ministers, fertilizers, Lok Sabha, m karunanidhi, manmohan, manmohan singh, minister of state, oath of office, orissa, party chief, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, secrecy, sonia gandhi, srikant jena, top congress