‘Defeat is temporary’, Junior NTR tells sagging TDPMay 28th, 2009 - 7:56 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 28 (IANS) “This defeat is only temporary” - with these words Thursday Junior NTR, popular Telugu actor and grandson of Telugu Desam Party (TDP) founder N.T. Rama Rao, tried to lift the spirits of the party cadre reeling under the crushing defeat in assembly and Lok Sabha elections.
Junior NTR participated in the second and final day’s deliberations at Mahanadu or the state-level conclave here and tried to boost the sagging morale of the cadres by reminding them that NTR did not form the party for the sake of power.
“No matter whether we are in power or in opposition, we should commit ourselves to serving people. NTR formed the party to serve people and not to achieve power,” he said.
The presence of Junior NTR and Balakrishna, another popular actor and NTR’s son, brought some cheers to the otherwise gloomy TDP camp on the occasion of NTR’s 86th birth anniversary.
This was the first public appearance for the two actors after TDP’s defeat in the polls. They had actively participated in the party’s election campaign.
Junior NTR, who has an uncanny resemblance to his legendary grandfather, was the star campaigner of the party. However, he met with a road accident during the campaign and could not cover most parts of the state.
Addressing the delegates, Junior NTR asked the cadres not to get disheartened by the defeat and recalled the words of NTR that the party should continue serving the poor irrespective of whether it is in power or in opposition.
The young actor said great personalities like NTR were defeated in elections but they continued their struggle. “This defeat is only temporary. If we continue our struggle, success will be ours,” he told the cadres.
The TDP won 92 assembly seats in the 294-member house and bagged only six out of 42 Lok Sabha seats in the state.
This is the first time since TDP’s formation in 1982 that the party is sitting in the opposition for the second consecutive term.
Meanwhile, TDP chief N. Chandrababu Naidu dissolved all state and district-level committees of the party. The party conclave passed a resolution, authorising him to reconstitute the committees.
- NTR's son to soon enter active politics - Jul 14, 2012
- Tributes paid to NTR on birth anniversary - May 28, 2011
- Divided family pays tributes to NTR - Jan 18, 2012
- NTR's son, grandson appear at TDP conclave - May 29, 2010
- NTR's actor son ready to contest elections - Sep 11, 2011
- Succession war between Naidu, NTR families hots up - May 28, 2011
- I'll remain with TDP till my last breath: Junior NTR - Jul 09, 2012
- NTR's son Balakrishna soon to join active politics - Jun 10, 2011
- Chandrababu's son gearing up for major role in TDP - Sep 12, 2012
- Naidu, Purandareswari pay tributes to NTR on death anniversary - Jan 18, 2011
- Suspended TDP lawmaker hits back at Naidu - Jul 11, 2012
- No succession war in TDP, says NTR's son - Apr 20, 2011
- Naidu asks Congress to spell out its Telangana stand - May 27, 2011
- Chiranjeevi, Renuka, four others file papers for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- Tributes paid to NTR on birth anniversary - May 28, 2009
Tags: assembly seats, birth anniversary, cadres, campaigner, cheers, conclave, delegates, deliberations, election campaign, first public appearance, hyderabad, junior ntr, lok sabha elections, lok sabha seats, personalities, rama rao, road accident, telugu actor, uncanny resemblance, young actor