Decision on Sethusamudram affidavit likely ThursdayFebruary 27th, 2008 - 11:36 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 27 (IANS) The government is likely to take the final decision Thursday on the affidavit to be filed in the Supreme Court on the Sethusamudram Shipping Canal Project, Culture and Tourism Minister Ambika Soni said Wednesday. “The Cabinet Committee on Political Affairs (CCPA) will take views of everyone (in the United Progressive Alliance) and harmonise them. Everybody had not read the affidavit and they were given more time. The final decision will be taken tomorrow,” Soni told reporters on the sidelines of an official function here.
The government has to inform the Supreme Court of its stand as several petitioners have approached the apex court against the project. Last year, the government was forced to withdraw its affidavit as it questioned the existence of Lord Ram.
The project in the Palk Strait between India and Sri Lanka aims to shorten the sea route between the eastern and western coasts of India. Hindu groups and several parties have opposed the project, saying it will destroy or damage the Ramsethu or Adam’s Bridge, to which they attach religious significance.
- SC gives more time to centre on Palk Strait channel - Sep 03, 2012
- Centre shies from naming Rama Sethu a national monument - Apr 19, 2012
- Complete Sethusamudram project at earliest: DMK - Mar 29, 2012
- New alignment of Sethusamudram not feasible, court told (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Declare Ram Sethu a national monument: Jayalalithaa - Mar 28, 2012
- Government plans environmental study of Sethusamudram channel - Jan 14, 2010
- New alignment of Sethusamudram not feasible, court told - Jul 02, 2012
- Karunanidhi thanks PM for Rs.16 bn Chennai Expressway - Jan 08, 2009
- CCPA to take a final decision on Setusamudram affidavit - Feb 28, 2008
- Montek meets PM amid controversy over poverty data - Oct 02, 2011
- Congress feels vindicated, opposition says verdict not final - Feb 04, 2012
- Congress wants Badal to react on Haryana canal wall - May 17, 2011
- Jamia Millia open to students' union poll, court told - Jul 24, 2012
- CPI-M youth wing strikes for implementation of Sethusamudram canal - Feb 12, 2010
- Quickly build Sethusamudram canal, says CPI-M (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
Tags: affidavit, ambika soni, apex court, cabinet committee, canal project, final decision, hindu groups, india hindu, lord ram, palk strait, petitioners, political affairs, progressive alliance, ramsethu, religious significance, s bridge, sea route, shipping canal, tourism minister, western coasts