Decision on Deshmukh after consulting allies: AntonyDecember 1st, 2008 - 5:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 1 (IANS) A decision on Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh’s resignation would be taken after consulting allies of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA), Defence Minister A.K. Antony said here Monday. “Vilasrao Deshmukh has offered to resign. We have to consult our allies before we take a decision,” Antony, who is also in-charge of the Maharashtra unit of the Congress, told reporters.
Antony and new Home Minister P. Chidambaram met party president Sonia Gandhi to discuss the issue.
Deshmukh Monday offered to resign in the face of scathing criticism of their response to the Mumbai terror carnage, which left at least 183 dead.
Deputy Chief Minister R.R. Patil, who is a member of ally Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), also submitted his resignation, which was accepted by Deshmukh.
Chidambaram was named union home minister after Shivraj Patil resigned from the post Sunday in the aftermath of the Mumbai terror attacks.
- Deshmukh's fate hangs in balance, R.R. Patil quits after terror attack (Roundup, combining different series) - Dec 01, 2008
- Deshmukh, R.R. Patil offer to quit after terror attack (Second Lead) - Dec 01, 2008
- Chavan, ministers visit ailing Deshmukh - Aug 08, 2012
- Deshmukh summoned to Delhi by Congress high command - Dec 02, 2008
- 30 Mumbai airport employees' passes missing: NCP legislator - Mar 29, 2011
- Vilasrao should resign: Maharashtra opposition - Apr 05, 2012
- Congress, NCP to hold seat-sharing talks Tuesday - Sep 15, 2009
- Chavan welcomes Kasab verdict (Lead) - May 06, 2010
- Decision on Deshmukh's successor deferred by a day (Lead) - Dec 02, 2008
- Ajit Pawar to be new Maharashtra deputy chief minister (Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- I requested Deshmukh to accept Patil's resignation: Pawar - Dec 01, 2008
- No question of taking MNS support, says Ashok Chavan - Oct 25, 2009
- Congress asks Chavan to quit as Maharashtra chief minister (Second Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- Prithviraj Chavan sworn in Maharashtra chief minister (Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Maharashtra chief minister not quitting: Congress leader - Nov 30, 2008
Tags: defence minister, deputy chief minister, mumbai terror attack, nationalist congress party, p chidambaram, party president, progressive alliance, scathing criticism, sonia gandhi, union home minister, vilasrao deshmukh