Death of Ramdev supporter proves brutality: BJPSeptember 26th, 2011 - 10:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 26 (IANS) Opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Monday said the death of a 51-year-old woman, injured in police action to break up a meeting of Baba Ramdev here in June, showed brutal action was taken against the yoga guru’s supporters.
Former party president Rajnath Singh said the death of victim Raj Bala showed that the people at Ramlila ground were baton charged and the government was lying when it said force was not used.
The 51-year-old woman slipped into coma after receiving spinal injury in police action to break up a meeting of yoga guru Baba Ramdev here after midnight of June 4. She died Monday after being hospitalised for 114 days.
“The home ministry gave a statement in the Supreme Court stating that there was no baton charge in the Ramlila ground,” Rajnath Singh said.
“But the reality of that affidavit has come out. What has the government got to say now if she was not attacked brutally, then why did she die after battling in hospital for months,” he questioned.
“Who ever are responsible, action should be taken and they should be punished,” he added.
- Police deny blame for Ramdev supporter's death - Sep 26, 2011
- Four months on, woman crippled at Ramdev fast dies - Sep 26, 2011
- Ramdev supporter cremated in Haryana village - Sep 27, 2011
- Ramdev trains guns on Chidambaram - Sep 27, 2011
- Will help Raj Bala's family: Dikshit - Sep 26, 2011
- Chidambaram should answer on Raj Bala's death: BJP - Sep 27, 2011
- Ramdev evicted for daring to raise voice, apex court told - Oct 17, 2011
- Give Raj Bala's autopsy report to her family: Apex court (Lead) - Sep 30, 2011
- Didn't baton-charge Ramdev supporters: Delhi Police - Jun 17, 2011
- Police blame Ramdev for Ramlila Ground troubles, injuries (Third Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Woman injured at Ramlila ground very critical - Jun 14, 2011
- Police action arbitrary, Ramdev didn't cooperate: Supreme Court (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Woman injured in Ramdev crackdown 'very critical' (Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Injured Ramdev follower still critical - Jun 15, 2011
- Ramdev meets injured supporter in hospital - Jun 26, 2011
Tags: affidavit, bala, brutal action, brutality, home ministry, hospitalised, New Delhi, old woman, opposition, party president, police action, rajnath singh, responsible action, supreme court, yoga guru