Dayanidhi Maran to abstain in July 22 vote (Lead)July 14th, 2008 - 11:48 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, July 14 (IANS) Former union IT minister and DMK MP Dayanidhi Maran announced Monday night that he would abstain during the crucial confidence vote in parliament on July 22. The bespectacled former minister and Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi’s estranged grandnephew issued a statement late in the night refuting rumours that he would vote against the United Progressive Alliance (UPA), and said, “I will rather abstain.”
Sun TV - the television channel part-owned by Maran - ran news items throughout the day indicating that the former minister was unwilling to antagonise the ruling DMK.
With Maran’s decision to abstain from voting, the UPA flock in Tamil Nadu, which was expected to net at least 33 votes, has one less.
The Democratic Progressive Alliance in the state led by the ruling DMK (15), its main ally the Congress (9), former ally PMK (6 including one from the Union Territory of Puducherry) and MDMK (two) can at best contribute 32 votes to the UPA kitty, sources told IANS.
Meanwhile, S. Ramadoss has gone on record saying his party, the PMK, would vote to save the Manmohan Singh ministry.
Reacting to Maran’s sudden announcement and Left charges of UPA horse-trading, Congress spokesperson Jayanthi Natarajan called the reports “a speculative pack of lies”.
Keeping in mind gaffes of the past, the UPA managers in Tamil Nadu are planning to be extra careful.
Two Dravidian party MPs had failed to vote at crucial moments. One of them, Sedappatti Muthiah (AIADMK), had ‘forgotten’ to cast his vote in support of then prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee in 1999, while S.S. Rajendran (DMK) had claimed to be answering the call of nature during a similar instance in the mid-80s.
- DMK ministers to resign Monday - Mar 06, 2011
- DMK-PMK in pact for Tamil Nadu elections (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Congress, DMK preparing to shake hands again? (Night Lead) - Mar 07, 2011
- DMK holds quit notice, parleys on with Congress (Intro Roundup) - Mar 08, 2011
- Ministers to resign Monday, no hope of patch-up: DMK (Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- 70 million hold key in three states Wednesday (Curtain Raiser) - Apr 12, 2011
- Ministers to resign Monday, no contact from Congress: DMK (Night Lead) - Mar 07, 2011
- Congress against PMK in DMK alliance - Feb 04, 2011
- Won't sacrifice seats for Congress: PMK - Mar 08, 2011
- Dravidian land all set for battle for power (Curtain Raiser) - Apr 11, 2011
- DMK calls meeting to discuss presidential polls - Jul 10, 2012
- Question of PMK-DMK alliance doesn't arise now: Karunanidhi - Feb 02, 2011
- DMK, Congress to hold seat sharing talks Sunday - Feb 19, 2011
- Voting in presidential poll ends in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- DMK blinks, Congress to contest 63 seats (Lead) - Mar 08, 2011
Tags: aiadmk, answering the call, call of nature, confidence vote, dayanidhi maran, horse trading, jayanthi, jayanthi natarajan, m karunanidhi, manmohan singh, mdmk, mid 80s, pack of lies, progressive alliance, puducherry, rajendran, ramadoss, sudden announcement, sun tv, union territory