Dasmunsi’s car falls in drain, two cops suspendedOctober 2nd, 2008 - 7:15 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Oct 2 (IANS) Two police officers were suspended Thursday for not escorting union Minister Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi’s car that eventually fell into a roadside drain in a West Bengal town.”Dasmunsi was on his way to inaugurate a Durga Puja pandal at West Bengal’s Howrah town. His car was to be escorted by the Howrah police from Vidyasagar Setu (second Hoogly bridge). But no pilot car was present there,” Howrah district police superintendent Niraj K. Singh told reporters here.
Singh said Dasmunsi’s car, on the way to the pandal, fell into a roadside ditch while trying to give way to a rickshaw.
“The pilot car driver Pradip Mondal and a sub-inspector of Howrah police Kharaj Bhattacharjee have been suspended,” he said.
“The entire area was waterlogged and it was difficult to locate the drain. However, no one was hurt in the incident. Dasmunsi was taken to the pandal in another car”.
According to district sources, Dasmunsi spent about 15 minutes at the Puja pandal before leaving for Kolkata.
- Parts of Kolkata waterlogged after rains - Apr 06, 2012
- Durga Puja fever soars in West Bengal (Lead) - Oct 17, 2010
- Five killed in Kolkata road accident - Aug 24, 2010
- Four killed in Bengal wall collapse - Jun 09, 2012
- Thousands watch Kumari worship at Belur Math - Oct 04, 2011
- Durga Puja fervor grips Delhi - Oct 02, 2011
- Woman killed in row over goat (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Bengal Undertrial attempts suicide inside court room - Apr 06, 2010
- Little Bengal in a Mumbai school (With Images) - Jan 02, 2012
- Polls in Singur, Nandigram cometh, notification Thursday - Apr 06, 2011
- West Bengal celebrates Mahanavami - Oct 16, 2010
- Security stepped-up in Kolkata for Durga puja - Sep 23, 2009
- Durga Puja celebrations begin in West Bengal - Oct 13, 2010
- CPI-M supporter dies in Bengal road accident - Feb 14, 2011
- Guns give way to Puja revelry in Maoist belt - Oct 04, 2011