Darjeeling Gorkhas hope hill council will get a nodMarch 3rd, 2012 - 12:08 am ICT by IANS
Kalimpong (West Bengal), March 2 (IANS) Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) Friday said it is hopeful that the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA) Bill will get presidential assent within the next 10-12 days and the new autonomous hill council in Darjeeling will be formed soon.
“We are hopeful that the GTA will be formed soon. We are expecting that the bill will receive presidential assent within the next ten to twelve days,” GJM general secretary Roshan Giri said after a meeting with West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee here.
Top GJM leaders, including party president Bimal Gurung and Giri, held talks with Banerjee.
Gurung has recently threatened that unless there is visible progress in the process of formation of the GTA, the party will re-launch its demand for a separate state from March 27.
Earlier, the chief minister, during her recent visit to New Delhi in February-end, took up the GTA issue with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
A tripartite agreement between the central and state governments and the JGM was signed in the presence of Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram, Banerjee and Gurung at Pintail village July 18, 2011.
- Ahead of meet with GJM, Mamata rejects Bengal's division (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Gorkha group to meet Mamata for honouring accord - Feb 10, 2012
- Mamata blames centre for delay on Gorkha autonomy (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- GJM to take part in GTA polls, Mamata happy (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Mamata blames centre for delay on Gorkha autonomy - Feb 11, 2012
- Gorkhaland team meets Bengal governor - Aug 22, 2012
- GJM threatens to renew Gorkhaland demand - Feb 09, 2012
- Decision on territorial polls Saturday, says GJM - Jun 28, 2012
- Day after accord, GJM harps on Gorkhaland - Jul 19, 2011
- GJM candidates only ones in fray in about half of GTA seats - Jul 12, 2012
- GJM expresses satisfaction after Mamata meet, says elections in July - Mar 24, 2012
- GJM to take part in GTA polls - Jun 30, 2012
- GJM announces agitation, calls for burning GTA agreement - Jun 10, 2012
- Mamata-GJM meet deferred to June 16 - Jun 12, 2012
- All CPI-M candidates pull out of Gorkhaland polls - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: bimal, chief minister, gjm, gorkha, gurung, hope hill, jgm, manmohan singh, p chidambaram, party president, pintail, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, roshan, state governments, territorial administration, tripartite agreement, union home minister, visible progress, west bengal