Darjeeling CPI-M candidate faces GJM protestsApril 7th, 2009 - 12:26 am ICT by IANS
Siliguri (West Bengal), April 6 (IANS) Pro-Gorkhaland activists Monday greeted the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) candidate for West Bengal’s Darjeeling seat with black flags when he went to file his nomination for the Lok Sabha polls.
Activists of the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM), which is fighting for a separate Gorkhaland carved out of Darjeeling and other areas of north Bengal, waved black flags with ‘Go Back’ written on them when CPI-M’s Jibesh Sarkar arrived to file his nomination papers.
“A few GJM protesters with black flags demonstrated at Tindhariya in Kurseong, while the CPI-M nominee was on his way to file nominations. However, we could rescue him and helped him proceed,” police sources said.
The Darjeeling seat has become hi-profile with the GJM deciding to support the candidature of Bharatiya Janata Party’s Rajya Sabha leader Jaswant Singh, who is slated to file his nomination April 9.
Dawa Narbula of the Congress also filed his papers during the day.
The election to the seat is scheduled for April 30.
- GJM faces heat from rival parties for strong-arm tactics - Jul 07, 2012
- Madan Tamang's widow to contest from Darjeeling - Mar 30, 2011
- 'Fear factor' missing from Darjeeling campaigning, say parties - Apr 12, 2011
- Darjeeling gearing up for assembly polls - Mar 26, 2011
- Buddhadeb accuses Trinamool of colluding with GJM - Feb 13, 2011
- CPI-M seeks poll panel's intervention in Darjeeling - Apr 07, 2009
- Darjeeling accord an alarm signal: CPI-M - Jul 17, 2011
- All CPI-M candidates pull out of Gorkhaland polls - Jul 12, 2012
- Day 3 of shutdown in Darjeeling, tension continues - Feb 11, 2011
- Ghising, Tamang's wife giving tough fight to GJM - Apr 15, 2011
- 364 to contest 54 seats in Bengal first phase poll - Apr 05, 2011
- Jaswant files nomination, says it's his big day (Lead) - Apr 09, 2009
- Shutdown by Gorkhas paralyses West Bengal's Darjeeling - Jun 19, 2010
- Shutdown cripples life in Darjeeling for sixth day (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Shutdown paralyses hills, GJM sets conditions for talks - Jul 15, 2009
Tags: activists, bharatiya janata party, black flags, candidature, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, darjeeling, dawa, gorkha, jaswant singh, kurseong, lok sabha polls, nomination papers, north bengal, police sources, protesters, rajya sabha, sarkar, west bengal