Darjeeling accord an alarm signal: CPI-MJuly 17th, 2011 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 17 (IANS) The Darjeeling tripartite accord, to be signed Monday, is an alarm signal for West Bengal, the state’s former ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) says.
“The name of Gorkha Hill Council will be changed to Gorkhaland Territorial Administration. The changing of the name itself suggests that in which way the state is heading,” CPI-M central committee member Mohammed Salim told reporters here Sunday.
The parties to the agreement are the West Bengal and central governments, and the pro-Gorkhaland Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM).
The signing will be held at Sukna in Kurseong sub-division, near the plains of Siliguri of Darjeeling district.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Friday announced that the tripartite agreement will be signed July 18 and union Home Minister P. Chidambaram will attend the function.
“They are showing that by one announcement the problems in hills will be solved…but new areas are being included (under the jurisdiction of the proposed new developmental council). That is an alarm signal,” Salim said.
The demand for a separate state of Gorkhaland covering parts of northern Bengal gained momentum during the 1980s under the leadership of Gorkha National Liberation Front (GNLF) supremo Subash Ghising.
But the reins of the movement were later taken over by the Bimal Gurung-led GJM, which forced Ghising out of the hills.
- Rally to celebrate Darjeeling accord - Jul 21, 2011
- Darjeeling accord on July 18: Mamata (Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- Darjeeling hills happy, but seek Gorkha area demarcation - Jul 18, 2011
- Tripartite pact will intensify Darjeeling problem: CPI-M (Lead) - Jul 16, 2011
- Tripartite pact will intensify Darjeeling problem: CPI-M - Jul 16, 2011
- 'Fear factor' missing from Darjeeling campaigning, say parties - Apr 12, 2011
- Darjeeling set for historic treaty - amid controversy - Jul 17, 2011
- Darjeeling issue solved, says Mamata after talks with GJM (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Pintail adds another twist in Darjeeling's politics - Jul 18, 2011
- Darjeeling pact signed amid euphoria and protests (Roundup) - Jul 18, 2011
- GJM's Gorkhaland movement a failure: Ghising - Apr 10, 2011
- Gorkhaland demand not a closed chapter: GJM - Jul 18, 2011
- Draft of Gorkhaland accord finalised, to be signed soon - Jul 08, 2011
- Darjeeling issue solved, says Mamata; GJM maintains Gorkhaland demand (Second Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- GJM threatens to renew Gorkhaland demand - Feb 09, 2012
Tags: alarm signal, bimal, central committee member, central governments, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, darjeeling district, district chief, gorkha, m central, mamata banerjee, national liberation front, p chidambaram, ruling communist party, siliguri, territorial administration, tripartite agreement, union home minister, west bengal