Dalit party to use Pinki to ‘expose’ MayawatiMarch 7th, 2009 - 7:52 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 7 (IANS) Eight-year-old Pinki Sonkar, the protagonist of Megan Mylan’s Oscar-winning documentary “Smile Pinki”, will publicly expose the “anti-Dalit face” of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati, the National Dalit Front (NDF) said Saturday.
“With the help of Pinki we are now going to unmask the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) government, which only pretends to fight for Dalit rights,” NDF general secretary Udit Raj told IANS on telephone from New Delhi.
Udit Raj said he met Pinki and her parents at their home in Rampur Dabai village in Uttar Pradesh’s Mirzapur district. Her parents had agreed to let her take part in public meetings.
He said he gave her a cash award of Rs.5,000.
NDF members allege that unlike the Maharashtra government that has provided flats to the slum children who acted in “Slumdog Millionare”, the Mayawati government has failed to do anything substantial for Pinki.
“Mayawati, who claims to be the custodian of Dalit rights, has not done anything significant for Pinki or her family. Under the banner of NDF, Pinki will highlight the issue in the public meetings,” said Udit Raj, who is also chief of the Indian Justice Party (IJP).
He said Pinki will be felicitated at NDF public meetings. She will take part in a public function in New Delhi March 15 and share the platform with Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) chief Ram Vilas Paswan, the NDF president.
- Pinki to smile again, to be given free education - Jul 18, 2009
- Oscar winner Pinki to be election mascot of National Dalit Front - Mar 07, 2009
- Why is Pinki not smiling? - Oct 28, 2009
- 'Smile Pinki' protagonist waiting for promised welfare schemes - Aug 20, 2009
- Pinki's Oscar to bring drinking water, power to her village - Feb 23, 2009
- Mayawati favouring only her community, claim Dalit leaders - Aug 29, 2010
- Justice Party chief wants CBI probe into candidate's murder - Apr 13, 2009
- 'No politics behind order to cover Mayawati statues' - Jan 16, 2012
- Pinki makes her village 'smile' after wooing Oscar jury - Feb 23, 2009
- Indian Justice Party candidate found hanging from tree - Apr 13, 2009
- Mayawati launches BSP campaign in UP, attacks Congress (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Mayawati launches BSP campaign in UP, spews fire at Congress (Second Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Dalits protest against Jan Lokpal bill - Aug 24, 2011
- BSP calls Congress anti-Dalit - Oct 16, 2011
- Mayawati misguiding Dalits: BJP - Sep 14, 2011
Tags: bahujan samaj party, chief minister, custodian, general secretary, justice party, ljp, lok, lucknow, maharashtra government, mirzapur, mylan, ndf, New Delhi, protagonist, public meetings, raj, ram vilas paswan, slum children, udit, vilas