Dalit numbers fell in railways during NDA rule, says panelMarch 23rd, 2008 - 11:42 am ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 23 (IANS) The recruitment of Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe candidates in the Indian Railways plunged between 2001 and 2004 when the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) ruled India, a parliamentary panel says. A 30-member Standing Committee on the welfare of Dalits and tribals, in its 28th report, said that the recruitment particularly fell dramatically in Southern Railway.
This fares poorly compared to recruitment during the earlier regime of the United Front government and the present United Progressive Alliance government.
The parliamentary report was placed in parliament this week.
According to the committee, the NDA government defaulted even on the promotion of Dalit and tribal railway employees.
“There has been a huge shortfall in the promotion of SC/ST candidates every year 2001 to 2005,” it said.
The “position improved after a special promotion drive was undertaken to clear the shortfall in promotional categories”, it added.
Heading the Standing Committee was Ratilal Varma, a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP from Gujarat. It included former central tribal welfare minister Jual Oram.
- Dalit groups submit their version of Lokpal bill - Sep 02, 2011
- Parliamentary panel asks AIIMS to fill vacant posts - Oct 23, 2008
- Exclude 'creamy layer' from quota, apex court urged (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Name Bengal township after Ambedkar: NGO - Dec 09, 2011
- Delhi University gets court notice on dalits' admission (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Presidential poll: SP to await UPA, NDA choices - Jun 09, 2012
- 'Include Dalits, minorities in Lokpal panel' - Sep 20, 2011
- Dalits push their version of Lokpal bill - Oct 15, 2011
- PM seeks solution to quota in job promotions - Aug 21, 2012
- Anna's support for Dalits half hearted: Udit Raj - Nov 11, 2011
- PM hints at amendment bill for quota in job promotions (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Rajya Sabha passes amended central institutions act - Apr 27, 2012
- BJP rules out poll pact with BJD - Oct 31, 2011
- Indian Railways losing steam with freeze on fare hikes - Feb 12, 2012
- Gehlot slams BJP for fuelling unrest over Gujjar reservation row - Dec 26, 2010
Tags: alliance government, bharatiya janata party, bjp, caste, dalits, gujarat, indian railways, national democratic alliance, nda government, parliamentary panel, parliamentary report, progressive alliance, railway employees, report said that, shortfall, southern railway, standing committee, tribal welfare, tribals, united front