Dalit groups submit their version of Lokpal billSeptember 2nd, 2011 - 10:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 2 (IANS) Representatives of Dalit, tribal and minority groups Friday submitted a draft of what they called the Bahujan Lokpal bill to Parliamentary standing committee chairman Abhishek Manu Singhvi.
They have been protesting their lack of representation in both the government and civil society versions of the Lokpal bill.
?There are differences on certain points of the Jan Lokpall bill and also the methodology adopted by Anna Hazare and his team,? All India Confederation of SC/ST Organisations chairman Udit Raj said.
?Because of the composition of Hazare?s team, Dalits, tribals and minorities were left with no option but to float their own version,? he added.
According to Udit Raj, the Indian society is not only caste-ridden but multi-cultural and multi-religious too, and so each community needs to be represented.
?We support the bill prepared by Aruna Roy and also demand that corporate houses, NGOs and the media be brought under the ambit of the Lokpal bill,? Udit Raj said.
Their version of the bill, according to him, would also ensure that enquiry proceedings against these groups are monitored by government commissions.
- Not against Anna, want representation in Lokpal: Dalit group - Aug 26, 2011
- Anna's support for Dalits half hearted: Udit Raj - Nov 11, 2011
- Dalits push their version of Lokpal bill - Oct 15, 2011
- Dalits to rally for Bahujan Lokpal bill - Aug 24, 2011
- 'Include Dalits, minorities in Lokpal panel' - Sep 20, 2011
- Udit Raj welcomes decision on Lokpal reservations - Dec 21, 2011
- Dalits protest against Jan Lokpal bill - Aug 24, 2011
- Lokpal panel likely to finalise report Nov 30 - Nov 28, 2011
- A protest against Team Anna goes unheeded - Dec 11, 2011
- Lokpal panel hears Aruna Roy - Sep 23, 2011
- No delay on Lokpal bill: Singhvi - Dec 06, 2011
- Lokpal panel to hear CVC, Aruna Roy - Sep 22, 2011
- Experts differ with Jan Lokpal bill provisions - Sep 25, 2011
- Lokpal house panel meet unlikely Wednesday - Sep 06, 2011
- Fasting Anna ready for talks, but on his Lokpal (Evening Lead) - Aug 21, 2011
Tags: abhishek, ambit, anna hazare, aruna roy, caste, committee chairman, composition, confederation, corporate houses, government commissions, manu, methodology, minorities, minority groups, New Delhi, ngos, parliamentary standing committee, raj, tribals, udit