Dalai Lama saddened over Khandu’s deathMay 7th, 2011 - 5:09 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, May 7 (IANS) Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama Saturday expressed grief over the death of Arunachal Pradesh chief minister Dorjee Khandu in a helicopter crash last week.
In a message to the governor of Arunachal Pradesh, the Nobel laureate expressed his sorrow and extended condolences to the families of Khandu and others who died in the crash, a post on the Tibetan government-in-exile’s official website said.
The Dalai Lama, who is currently touring the US, recalled his visit to Arunachal Pradesh in 2009 on the invitation of Khandu.
The Tibetan government-in-exile based here Friday remembered Khandu’s contribution to improving the lives of the exiles settled in the state.
“My colleagues in the Kashag (cabinet) join me in mourning the tragic demise of Dorjee Khandu. We offer our deepest condolences to his family members,” prime minister-in-exile Samdhong Rinpoche said in a message sent to the state chief secretary.
Khandu and four others - two pilots, a personal security officer, and the sister of the Tawang legislator - were killed in the chopper crash April 30. The bodies were retrieved from the crash site at Lobotang near the 13,700 feet Sela Pass in Tawang district May 5 after six days of intense search operations.
- We lost dear friend Khandu, say Tibetans - May 06, 2011
- Tibetan exiles remember late Arunachal chief minister - May 26, 2011
- Arunachal chief minister's death mourned - May 04, 2011
- Tibetans hold prayers for Arunachal chief minister - May 05, 2011
- Committed to Khandu's dream of developed Arunachal: PM (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- PM, Sonia to pay last respects to Khandu in Itanagar - May 06, 2011
- Exiles celebrate Dalai Lama's birthday (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- New Tibetan PM to assume office Aug 8 - Jul 25, 2011
- Tibetan government-in-exile happy with Nirupama Rao's visit to Dharamshala - Jul 12, 2010
- Exiled Tibetan Govt. expresses happiness over foreign secretary's visit - Jul 12, 2010
- New Tibetan PM-in-exile congratulated - Apr 28, 2011
- Exiled Tibetan Parliament wants Dalai Lama to stay - Mar 15, 2011
- Arunachal chief minister's helicopter crash site located: Chidambaram - May 04, 2011
- Lobsang Sangay elected new Tibetan PM-in-exile - Apr 27, 2011
- Wreckage of Arunachal chief minister's chopper found (Lead) - May 04, 2011
Tags: chief minister, chief secretary, chopper, crash site, dalai lama, deepest condolences, dharamsala, exiles, helicopter crash, intense search, legislator, nobel laureate, personal security, search operations, security officer, six days, state chief, tibetan government in exile, tibetan spiritual leader, tragic demise