Dal Khalsa criticises Badal for Jathedar Vedanti’s `ouster’August 6th, 2008 - 8:46 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 6 (IANS) Dal Khalsa, a Sikh organisation, Wednesday criticised the “ousting” of Akal Takht Jathedar Joginder Singh Vedanti and accused Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and his family of only wanting a “yes man”. “They only want a team of yes man in Akal Takht, and if any leader tries to go against them, they just throw him out. The latest example is of unprincipled ousting of former Jathedar of Akal Takht, Joginder Singh Vedanti two days ago,” said Kanwarpal Singh, general secretary of Dal Khalsa here Wednesday.
Vedanti resigned as Akal takht chief two days ago.
“Badal and his son exploited Vedanti till he was of their use. Now they have elected Gurbachan Singh, the new Jathedar of Akal Takht, without consulting anyone and without any formal elections which are against the principles of Sikhism,” claimed Singh.
Dal Khalsa demanded formulation of a proper procedure to elect the Akal Takht Jathedar.
Criticising Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Dal Khalsa president Dhami said: “He is always helpless and always works under some pressure. He has not done even a single thing for the betterment of Sikh community in the country.”
“Dal Khalsa is collaborating with other minority communities to formulate a policy to curb the human rights violations in the country,” said Dhami.
- Punjab before elections; Nobel rhetoric sans substance (Punjab Newsletter) - Dec 04, 2011
- Badal conferred highest Sikh title, radicals cry foul - Dec 05, 2011
- Former Akal Takht head excommunicated from Sikh religion - Jan 29, 2010
- Opposition mounts to Amitabh's plea on anti-Sikh riots - Dec 16, 2011
- Amended Sikh calendar released in Amritsar - Mar 14, 2010
- Pro-Khalistan slogans raised in Golden Temple complex - Jun 06, 2012
- Congress opposes move to summon PM to Akal Takht - Sep 05, 2011
- Dal Khalsa releases Operation Bluestar directory - Jun 05, 2012
- Akal Takht calls upon excommunicated persons to return to Sikh fold - Jun 07, 2010
- Akal Takht announces new martyrdom day for Guru Teg Bahadur - Nov 23, 2010
- Sikh bodies divided over change in Guru Tegh Bahadur martyrdom date - Nov 24, 2010
- Akali Dal releases agenda for gurdwara panel poll - Aug 20, 2011
- Haryana Sikhs, expressing support to SGPC, appear before Akal Takht - Sep 28, 2009
- Dal Khalsa urges apex Sikh body to probe Vienna shoot-out - Aug 11, 2009
- Former Akal Takht Jathedar declared guilty of religious misconduct - Dec 05, 2009
Tags: akal takht, badal, betterment, chief minister, dal khalsa, dhami, formal elections, human rights violations, joginder, joginder singh, manmohan, manmohan singh, minority communities, ouster, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sikh, single thing, takht jathedar, yes man