Current times worse than emergency: AdvaniSeptember 12th, 2012 - 12:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 12 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party leader L.K. Advani has come out in support of Aseem Trivedi, saying the act of jailing the cartoonist for an allegedly seditious work had made him wonder if the current political set up was “worse even than the emergency?”
Advani, in a blog post Wednesday, said he has “always regarded the emergency period 1975-77 as the worst in so far as suppression of civil liberties and freedom of expression were concerned”.
“But seeing what has happened to political cartoonist and anti-corruption crusader Aseem Trivedi, I have started wondering: Is today’s political set up worse even than the emergency?”
On Tuesday, the Bombay High Court granted bail to Trivedi but he refused to be freed till the sedition charge against him were dropped.
Trivedi was arrested last Saturday by Mumbai police which charged him, among other things, with sedition for insulting national emblems and the constitution during the anti-corruption movement led by Anna Hazare here December 2011.
India Against Corruption (IAC) member Arvind Kejriwal Tuesday threatened to sit on a protest outside the prison where cartoonist Aseem Trivedi has been jailed if all charges against him are not dropped.
Advani said the “draconian mindset of the present rulers is born out of failure and desperation”.
“…Dictatorships cannot afford laughter because people may laugh at the dictator, and that would not do. In all the years of Hitler, there never was a good comedy, not a good cartoon, not a parody, not a spoof.” he said.
- Cartoonist Trivedi gets bail, refuses to be freed till charges dropped (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi gets bail, refuses freedom till charge dropped (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- IAC demands cartoonist Trivedi's release - Sep 10, 2012
- Cartoonist Trivedi's questioning cut short, sent to judicial custody (Second Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Press Council chief slams sedition charge against cartoonist - Sep 10, 2012
- IAC demands cartoonist Aseem Trivedi's release - Sep 10, 2012
- Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi released (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Aseem Trivedi walks out of jail (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi to be released Wednesday - Sep 12, 2012
- Cartoonist sent to judicial custody, government faces flak on issue (Roundup) - Sep 10, 2012
- IAC slams action against protests, cartoonist's arrest (Second Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Explain sedition charges against cartoonist, court tells police - Sep 14, 2012
- SIT to investigate cartoonist Trivedi's case - Sep 13, 2012
- I drew no wrong, I'm not sorry: Aseem Trivedi (Third lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Free cartoonist Aseem Trivedi, demands Kejriwal (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
Tags: anna hazare, arvind kejriwal, bombay high court, civil liberties, crusader, current times, desperation, dictator, dictatorships, freedom of expression, l k advani, last saturday, mindset, national emblems, parody, party leader, political cartoonist, sedition, spoof, trivedi