Curfew relaxed for 12 hours in MeghalayaMay 13th, 2012 - 4:10 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, May 13 (IANS) With normalcy returning to Meghalaya’s West Garo Hills district bordering Assam’s Dhubri district, authorities Sunday further relaxed the curfew.
“The curfew was relaxed from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. after assessing the law and order situation in the curfew-bounded areas,” West Garo Hills deputy commissioner Pravin Bakshi told IANS.
Curfew was imposed in Phulbari, Rajabala, Bhaitbari, Singhimari and other adjoining areas May 8 to prevent communal clashes between Garos and Muslims after some people circulated text messages with a communal flavour.
Bakshi said the authorities would be monitoring the situation during the curfew relaxation period and a decision to lift the curfew will be taken accordingly.
“Today, curfew will be imposed during the night and security personnel have been asked to maintain a strict vigil to prevent any untoward situation,” Bakshi said.
- Curfew relaxed in Meghalaya district - May 10, 2012
- Curfew further relaxed in Meghalaya - May 11, 2012
- Curfew lifted in Meghalaya - May 31, 2012
- Curfew imposed in Meghalaya - May 09, 2012
- Curfew continues in Meghalaya areas, BSF stages flag march (Night Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
- Curfew continues in Meghalaya areas, situation tense (Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
- Curfew further relaxed in Meghalaya - Jan 08, 2011
- Meghalaya curfew relaxed - Jan 05, 2011
- Situation improving in Meghalaya's riot-hit areas: Minister (Lead) - Jan 08, 2011
- Four killed in Meghalaya ethnic clash, army called in (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- Curfew re-imposed in Meghalaya's riot-hit areas - Jan 09, 2011
- Meghalaya announces compensation for riot victims - Jan 12, 2011
- Meghalaya riot toll rises, curfew relaxed - Jan 07, 2011
- Day curfew lifted in Meghalaya's riot-hit areas - Jan 14, 2011
- Curfew imposed in Meghalaya district - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: assam, bakshi, communal clashes, deputy commissioner, district authorities, flavour, garo hills district, garos, law and order, meghalaya, muslims, normalcy, pravin, relaxation period, security personnel, shillong, strict vigil, text messages, west garo hills, west garo hills district