Curfew further relaxed in MeghalayaJanuary 8th, 2011 - 3:26 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, Jan 8 (IANS) With the situation in riot-hit areas limping to normalcy, authorities in Meghalaya Saturday further relaxed curfew in the Resublepara sub-division in East Garo Hills district.The curfew was relaxed for six hours starting 11 a.m.
Eight people were killed in ethnic clashes between Garo and Rabha tribals along the Assam-Meghalaya border. The violence displaced some 30,000 people who fled their homes since the New Year’s Day.
“The situation is limping back to normalcy. Therefore, we decided to lift the curfew for another six hours to ensure people could buy essential commodities,” East Garo Hills Deputy Commissioner Pravin Bakshi told IANS.
He said further relaxation would be done after assessing the law and order situation.
Both the Meghalaya and Assam governments are setting up relief camps to accommodate the displaced people in East Garo Hills and Goalpara districts of Meghalaya and Assam respectively.
Union Minister of State for Rural Development Agatha K. Sangma, her brother and Meghalaya’s opposition leader Conrad K. Sangma and their father and former Lok Sabha speaker Purno A. Sangma Friday narrowly escaped mob fury in Assam’s Goalpara district.
The three were visiting a relief camp at Chotomatia in Assam after visiting relief camps in East Garo Hills district.
- Curfew re-imposed in Meghalaya's riot-hit areas - Jan 09, 2011
- Agatha Sangma, family escape mob fury in riot-hit Assam areas - Jan 08, 2011
- Situation improving in Meghalaya's riot-hit areas: Minister (Lead) - Jan 08, 2011
- Day curfew lifted in Meghalaya's riot-hit areas - Jan 14, 2011
- Meghalaya politicians advised not to travel to Assam - Jan 08, 2011
- 1,800 displaced people returned home in Meghalaya - Jan 12, 2011
- Meghalaya announces compensation for riot victims - Jan 12, 2011
- Curfew lifted in Meghalaya's riot-hit areas - Jan 19, 2011
- Assam-Meghalaya ethnic clash planned: Home ministry - Jan 10, 2011
- Meghalaya proposes joint patrols in riot-hit areas (Lead) - Jan 07, 2011
- Four killed in Meghalaya ethnic clash, army called in (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- Meghalaya chief minister to complain against Agatha - Jan 12, 2011
- 103 rioters arrested in Meghalaya, toll 10 (Lead) - Jan 10, 2011
- Meghalaya riot toll rises, curfew relaxed - Jan 07, 2011
- Curfew extended to more areas in Meghalaya after clashes - Jan 06, 2011
Tags: agatha, assam, bakshi, deputy commissioner, east garo hills, garo hills district, goalpara district, law and order, Lok Sabha, minister of state, normalcy, opposition leader, pravin, purno, relief camps, rural development, shillong, six hours, tribals, union minister