Cuban revolution ’stronger than ever’ at 50: Raul CastroJanuary 2nd, 2009 - 9:45 am ICT by IANS
Santiago de Cuba, Jan 2 (DPA) Cuban President Raul Castro said Thursday that the Cuban revolution after 50 years was “stronger than ever despite the obsessive and revengeful hate of the United States.”Despite the current difficult times, the revolutionary movement had moved barely a millimetre from its principles, the younger brother of the ailing revolutionary leader Fidel Castro said at the formal celebration of the anniversary.
The 77-year-old president spoke in Santiago de Cuba, the southern town where Fidel Castro declared victory from city hall over the Fulgencio Batista regime on Jan 1, 1959.
Castro, wearing the uniform of a four-star general, spoke before 3,000 invited guests - a small and remote gathering compared to past massive anniversary celebrations of the revolution which have taken place in Havana.
The only high ranking foreign guest was Venezuela’s Foreign Minister Nicolas Maduro.
Fidel Castro, 82, has not appeared before the Cuban public since his sudden illness in July 2006, when he turned over leadership to Raul. In February 2008, Raul was formally chosen president. Videotapes of Castro meeting with foreign leaders however have been released by the government.
Details of his illness have not been revealed. The party newspaper “Granma” published only a small message of greeting from Fidel, which read: “Shortly before the 50th anniversary of triumph I send good wishes to our heroic people. Fidel Castro Ruiz.”
- Cuban revolution 'stronger than ever' at 50: Raul Castro (Lead) - Jan 02, 2009
- Fidel Castro releases two-volume memoir - Feb 05, 2012
- Socialism can't resolve all ills: Fidel Castro (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012
- Cuba celebrates 51 years of revolution - Jan 02, 2010
- Castro to release first volume of memoirs in August - Jul 28, 2010
- Che Guevara's motorcycle companion dead - Mar 06, 2011
- Raul Castro hints at easing of Cuba's migration policy - Aug 02, 2011
- Cuban TV runs series on attempts to kill Castro - Mar 09, 2010
- Castro meets experts to discuss threats to human species - Feb 12, 2012
- Rumors Of Fidel Castro's Death Circulating On Internet - Nov 19, 2009
- Castro to reappear on TV after four-year absence - Jul 13, 2010
- Fidel Castro addresses Cuban parliament - Aug 08, 2010
- Cuban Revolution survives 50 years despite changing world - Jan 02, 2009
- Capturing Castro, Che and Cuba on lens - Dec 22, 2010
- Raul Castro secures cooperation commitments in China - Jul 06, 2012