Croatian police clash with protestersFebruary 27th, 2011 - 9:07 am ICT by IANS
London, Feb 27 (IANS) Over 30 people were injured and 58 were taken into custody by Croatian police, after a clash with about 15,000 anti-government protesters who rallied in the capital city of Zagreb, media reports said.Citing Croatian news agency HINA, Xinhua reported that the protesters, among whom were masked members of the Bad Blue Boys group of football supporters, demanded protection of war veterans from prosecution. They clashed with the police in an attempt to reach St. Mark’s Square, where the government is located.
Police used force as some protesters acted violently and tried to break the police cordon, Zagreb police chief Tomislav Buterin said at a news conference.
The injured in the process also include journalists.
Helicopters were also seen flying over the city.
At another Zagreb square, Bana Jelacica, thousands of people protested peacefully against the government and in support of a Croat war veteran awaiting extradition to Serbia in a Bosnian prison.
A similar protest was also organised in the eastern Croatian city of Osijek.
Croatian Prime Minister Jadranka Kosor called for the end to the protests, warning that instability could undermine Croatia’s efforts to join the European Union.
- Croatian protesters continue to challenge government - Mar 01, 2011
- 47 Croatian school kids injured in accident - Jun 04, 2010
- Two killed in Croatian plane crash - May 17, 2012
- Croatian soccer officials detained for match-fixing - Dec 10, 2011
- Mass grave of World War II troops found - Jun 30, 2010
- Gaddafi's wife in talks to buy Croatian resort - Sep 08, 2011
- Yugoslavia's last PM is dead - Nov 28, 2011
- Gunman outside US embassy in Sarajevo arrested: Police - Oct 29, 2011
- Yugoslavian leader Ante Markovic dies - Nov 28, 2011
- Croatian cameraman fired over T-shirt message - Jul 31, 2009
- Clashes erupt in Serbia protest against Mladic arrest - May 30, 2011
- Croatia dark horses of Euro 2012 - Jun 03, 2012
- Croatia in frenzy following Euro 2008 triumph over Germany - Jun 13, 2008
- Remains of 11 people found near Serbia-Bosnia border - Sep 14, 2010
- Injured Olic's Euro 2012 in doubt - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,