Crime, money power shadow Uttar Pradesh pollsFebruary 3rd, 2012 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 3 (IANS) Thirty-five percent of the candidates in the second phase of Uttar Pradesh elections are embroiled in criminal cases, two groups said Friday.
The Association for Democratic Research (ADR) and National Election Watch (NEW) said the number of such contestants in the constituencies had risen since the 2007 election.
A total of 138 candidates or 41 percent of the 337 in the second phase were “crorepatis” — a 22 percent increase from 2007.
Among the 118 candidates who have criminal cases registered against them is Mukhtar Ansari (Quami Ekta Dal), who has the maximum of 15 cases.
He is followed by Upendra (Samajwadi Party) and Javed Iqbal (Bahujan Samaj Party). They have 11 and five criminal cases against them respectively.
All major parties have given ticket to candidates with tainted background, ADR and NEW said.
The share of the Samajwadi Party in this category is 30 out of 59 candidates, BSP (23/59), Bharatiya Janata Party (20/55), Congress (19/59), Peace Party (8/35) and Janata Dal-United (12/50).
Over 50 percent of the offending candidates are battling charges of murder, attempt to murder, kidnapping, robbery and extortion.
Leading the list with 12 such candidates is Samajwadi Party followed by BSP and Congress (10 each), BJP (9), JD-U (7), Peace Party (3) and Quami Ekta Dal (2).
Assets of legislators contesting a second time have soared.
BSP’s Sarvesh Kumar Singh (Azamgarh) has Rs.8.81 crore in assets followed by Pramod of BSP (Deoria, Rs.4.51 crore) and Rajkumar of BSP (Ghazipur, Rs.4.38 crore).
- 35pc candidates with criminal cases in UP fourth phase - Feb 11, 2012
- 128 nominees in UP poll's sixth phase face criminal cases - Feb 18, 2012
- Tainted, billionaire candidates on rise in seventh phase - Feb 24, 2012
- 49 newly-elected MCD councillors face criminal charges - Apr 19, 2012
- 'Criminal charges against 9 percent MCD poll nominees' - Apr 10, 2012
- Manipur legislators have whooping assets - Jan 18, 2012
- 31 percent of UP third-phase candidates have criminal cases - Feb 14, 2012
- Polling gets off to brisk start in UP's second phase (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Elections 2012: UP poll battle begins Wednesday - Feb 06, 2012
- UP polls: Round 3 ends peacefully, 57-58 percent turnout (Fourth Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Polling steady, peaceful in round three of UP polls (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Over 60 percent turnout in UP second phase poll (Third Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- New Punjab assembly a 'crorepati' club - Mar 11, 2012
- Many UP poll candidates face criminal charges: Study - Feb 04, 2012
- Hisar's main contestants record massive hike in properties - Oct 12, 2011
Tags: ansari, azamgarh, bharatiya janata party, bjp, crore, deoria, ghazipur, iqbal, money power, murder attempt, national election, party 3, party 8, peace party, pramod, quami ekta, rajkumar, Samajwadi Party, sarvesh, second phase