CPI(M) leaders accused in murder of former party leaderAugust 13th, 2012 - 2:14 pm ICT by IANS
Kozhikode, Aug 13 (IANS) Kerala Police probing the gruesome murder of a former CPI(M) leader Monday submitted a list of 76 accused, which includes middle and lower level cadres of the party.
T.P. Chandrasekheran, 51, was a firebrand CPI(M) leader from Onchiyam near here. He split from the CPI(M) in 2008 and formed his own outfit, Revolutionary Marxist Party.
Since then, he has been a troublemaker for CPI(M) in Kozhikode district.
On May 4, while Chandrasekheran was returning home on his motorcycle, he was ambushed by a gang in a Toyota Innova and hacked 51 times, according to the police.
The state government of Chief minister Oommen Chandy gave the police a free hand to investigate the murder. The very next day the police located the Innova and began rounding up the killers and conspirators.
The charge sheet submitted to the Vadakara magistrate court states that the prime motive for the murder was that Chandrasekheran’s Revolutionary Marxist Party had become a serious threat to the CPI(M) in the state.
The police team claims that it has been able to gather 322 pieces of evidence to link 76 people to the crime. The evidence includes the vehicle that was used by the seven men who carried out the murder, Chandrasekheran’s blood stains in the car besides hair of those accused.
Other evidence that was submitted included mobile call details of the accused.
The seven-member killer gang is arraigned as accused one to seven apart from middle and lower-level CPI(M) party leaders from Kozhikode and Kannur districts.
P. Mohanan, accused number 14, is the husband of CPI(M) legislator K.K. Lathika.
C.H. Ashokan, accused number nine, is the former secretary of the CPI(M)-backed powerful NGO of state government employees.
- Slain Kerala leader's wife seeks CBI probe - Sep 04, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M in tight spot over murder probe - Sep 09, 2012
- Achuthanandan too wants CBI to probe former colleague's murder - Sep 06, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader gets bail in murder case (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M sacks three local party workers - Aug 17, 2012
- CPI-M seeks probe into 'false' news on ex-leader's killing - Jul 11, 2012
- Chargesheet soon in ex-Marxist leader's murder - Jul 14, 2012
- CPI-M leader held for Kerala murder - May 16, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader nabbed for former colleague's murder - Jun 29, 2012
- Prime accused in Chandrasekharan murder case held - Jun 07, 2012
- Kerala politician's killers identified: Police - May 09, 2012
- CPI-M jittery as police dig deeper into murder case (Kerala Newsletter) - May 26, 2012
- CPI-M leader, four others held for Chandrasekharan murder - May 15, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader held for ex-colleague's murder (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Action sought against another CPI-M leader - Jun 26, 2012
Tags: ashokan, blood stains, chief minister, conspirators, CPI, firebrand, gruesome murder, kannur, magistrate court, marxist party, number nine, oommen chandy, party leader, party leaders, police team, prime motive, seven men, state government employees, toyota innova, troublemaker