CPI veteran Promod Gogoi diesApril 6th, 2012 - 12:59 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, April 6 (IANS) Promod Gogoi, 82, a Communist Party of India (CPI) leader from Assam, passed away at a hospital here Friday, days after being re-elected to the party’s National Executive.
Gogoi was admitted to the Guwahati Neurological Research Centre (GNRC) April 2 after he complained of nasal bleeding.
On April 2, Gogoi returned from Bihar after attending the 21st party congress.
“His condition deteriorated Thursday. We put him on ventilation support but there was no improvement,” a doctor told IANS.
Born Sep 29, 1930 in Sivsagar in Upper Assam, Gogoi was associated with the All India Students Federation (AISF).
He joined the CPI in 1948 and was first elected to the Assam assembly in 1967 from Sivsagar. Gogoi was elected to the assembly five times.
Gogoi was also a minister of flood control and irrigation department in the AGP-led coalition government in Assam in 1996-2001.
- Assam parties launch poll campaign with rallies - Jan 29, 2011
- Assam vote count starts - May 13, 2011
- Assam opposition's grand alliance plans floundering? - Mar 11, 2011
- Gogoi admits corruption under his rule - Feb 02, 2011
- Rattled AGP seeks re-poll using ballots - May 15, 2011
- Sangma predicts hung assembly for Assam - Apr 18, 2011
- Five anti-talk ULFA cadres nabbed - Apr 21, 2012
- Doors to militant groups open: PM (Lead) - Apr 02, 2011
- Give Congress third term in Assam: PM - Apr 02, 2011
- 70 percent polling recorded in Assam (Fourth Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
- AGP, BJP have done nothing for Assam: Sonia - Apr 01, 2011
- We will form Assam government, say both Congress, opposition - May 10, 2011
- Polling begins for first phase of Assam elections - Apr 04, 2011
- Congress, opposition confident of winning in Assam - May 12, 2011
- Congress, BJP in slanging match in Assam - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: 21st party, agp, bihar, coalition government, communist party of india, CPI, flood control, gogoi, guwahati, irrigation department, national executive, neurological research, party congress, promod, upper assam, ventilation, veteran