CPI-M’s Salim, Trinamool’s Sougata, Satabdi, Tapas file nominationsApril 17th, 2009 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 17 (IANS) Former central government minister and Trinamool Congress nominee Sougata Roy and Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Mohd Salim were among the candidates who filed their nominations for the second and third phase of Lok Sabha polls in West Bengal Friday.
While Roy entered the fray from Dum Dum in North 24 Parganas district, Salim will contest from Kolkata North.
Former Congress’ state unit chief Somen Mitra, who is fighting the polls from the Diamond Harbour seat in neighbouring South 24 Parganas on a Trinamool Congress ticket and film actors Satabdi Roy and Tapas Pal, also contesting for the Trinamool Congress, also filed their papers.
Roy will fight from Birbhum, while Pal is in the race from Krishnanagar in Nadia district.
Trinamool Congress’ father-son duo of Sisir Adhikari and Subhendu Adhikari also filed their candidature from Kanthi and Tamluk constituencies in East Midnapur district, respectively.
Besides, sitting CPI-M MP from Tamluk Laxman Seth, who is seeking re-election from the constituency, filed his papers.
West Bengal is scheduled to have three-phase polls for its 42 seats on April 30, May 7 and May 13. Fourteen seats are going to the hustings in the first phase, 17 in the second and 11 in the third and last round.
The nomination process for the first round is over. The filing of papers for the second phase spread over seven districts - Murshidabad, Nadia, Howrah, Hooghly, East Midnapur, Burdwan and Birbhum - started April 11.
The nominations for the third phase covering Kolkata and the two neighbouring districts of North 24 Parganas and South 24 Parganas began Friday.
- Former FICCI official is Trinamool nominee for Bengal polls - Apr 06, 2011
- Process for Bengal's second phase poll begins Wednesday - Mar 29, 2011
- Notification for second phase of West Bengal polls issued - Mar 30, 2011
- PM, Mamata, Pranab on one stage to seek votes - Apr 23, 2011
- Peaceful voting, 75 percent turnout in Bengal (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
- Bengal polls: Third phase kicks off Saturday - Apr 01, 2011
- Peaceful voting, 80 percent turnout in Bengal (Intro Roundup) - Apr 28, 2011
- CPI-M demands re-poll in 40 booths - Apr 28, 2011
- Second generation politicians contest Bengal polls - May 04, 2011
- Long queues in round two of Bengal polls (Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- West Bengal CM files nomination papers in Jadavpore - Apr 05, 2011
- We can fight and win on our own, Trinamool tells Congress - Jun 05, 2012
- Trinamool scores in civic polls, loses near Nandigram - Jun 05, 2012
- 31 'crorepati' candidates in third phase of Bengal polls - Apr 22, 2011
- 293 nominees in fray for second phase of Bengal polls - Apr 11, 2011
Tags: adhikari, birbhum, burdwan, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, diamond harbour, film actors, government minister, howrah, hustings, krishnanagar, laxman, lok sabha polls, mitra, nadia district, neighbouring districts, salim, sisir, trinamool congress, west bengal