CPI-M wants Kerala assembly polls in AprilNovember 29th, 2010 - 4:29 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Nov 29 (IANS) The ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Monday informed the visiting Deputy Election Commissioner Alok Shukla that it wanted the forthcoming Kerala assembly elections to be held in a single phase in April next year.
“Elections should not happen during the months of February or March because parents and children would be busy with examinations. In today’s world, elections have become a high pitched affair and it would be a problem for them. We have requested that it should be held as a single phase poll and in April,” former Rajya Sabha member V.S. Vijayaraghavan told reporters.
The 2006 assembly polls were a three-phase process. V.S. Achuthanandan was sworn in chief minister May 18, 2006.
Meanwhile, state Congress president Ramesh Chennithala told reporters in Alappuzha that it appears that the Left government is scared to face the people at the polls.
“We are prepared for the polls at any time. It is the Left who are scared to face the people. We are not going to suggest any time,” Chennithala said.
The Bharatiya Janata Party and the Communist Party of India (CPI)leaders asked for the polls be held in May and the former even suggested that there be a phased poll schedule.
What the Election Commission decides is unclear as close to one lakh state government employees, who constitute the backbone of the election machinery, are due to retire Mar 31, 2011.
- Congress denies seeking early Kerala polls - Nov 28, 2010
- Chandy, Achuthanandan win handsomely - May 13, 2011
- CPI-M Kerala unit to meet to map its future - Feb 06, 2012
- Protests in Kerala over denial of seat to Achuthanandan - Mar 17, 2011
- Kerala's ruling Left staring rout in local bodies polls (Second Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Achuthanandan to contest Kerala polls (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Achuthanandan faces flak for remarks on ex-CPI-M woman leader - Mar 11, 2012
- Congress wins Kerala cliffhanger from 'old man' Achuthanandan (Roundup) - May 13, 2011
- Kerala chief minister out of poll fray (Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
- Octogenarian Achuthanandan ready to contest again - Mar 03, 2011
- CPI-M attacks NSS for anti-Achuthanandan remarks - May 04, 2011
- Chennithala takes potshots at CPI-M - Jan 10, 2012
- Achuthanandan: Stalinist, but a man of the masses - May 13, 2011
- Achuthanandan, three ministers out of Kerala poll fray (Second Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- First off block in Kerala: BJP names 40 candidates - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: alappuzha, alok, assembly elections, assembly polls, bharatiya janata party, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress president, election commissioner, lakh, parents and children, poll schedule, rajya sabha member, ramesh chennithala, ruling communist party, state congress, state government employees, v s achuthanandan, vijayaraghavan, world elections