CPI-M to decide electoral alliances Oct 12October 7th, 2008 - 9:24 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Oct 7 (IANS) The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) said Tuesday that it would decide its electoral alliances Oct 12 at the party’s national committee meeting scheduled in Kolkatta.CPI-M general secretary Prakash Karat said the electoral alliance in Andhra Pradesh would be in tune with the party’s efforts to form a third alternative to the Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Karat was speaking to reporters after attending the two-day meeting of the state unit of CPI-M which concluded here Tuesday.
The CPI-M has indicated that it was ready to join a mega alliance with the Telugu Desam Party (TDP), Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) and Communist Party of India (CPI) to take on the ruling Congress in Andhra Pradesh.
The elections to the state assembly and Lok Sabha are likely in February-March next year.
TRS chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao had recently met CPI-M leaders and the two parties had agreed to work together.
Karat evaded questions about a possible alliance with the Praja Rajyam party floated by Telugu superstar Chiranjeevi.
According to sources in the CPI-M, the state committee meeting noted that Chiranjeevi had not spelled out his stand on the BJP and the economic policies.
Karat said CPI-M was striving for unity among Left parties. “The CPI-M and CPI will fight the coming elections together,” he said.
- Rosaiah, Chandrababu Naidu condole Basu's death - Jan 17, 2010
- Chidambaram regrets boycott of Telangana meet (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- Massive security in Andhra ahead of Srikrishna report - Jan 06, 2011
- Telangana meet Thursday amid boycott by TRS, BJP - Jan 05, 2011
- Another Telangana MP resigns - Jul 07, 2011
- Four more MPs, 16 legislators from Telangana resign (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Srikrishna panel on Telangana begins work in Hyderabad - Mar 04, 2010
- Chiranjeevi, five others elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha - Mar 22, 2012
- PRP's merger will strengthen Congress: Andhra chief minister - Feb 06, 2011
- Manohar elected new speaker of Andhra assembly - Jun 04, 2011
- Crisis deepens as more Telangana lawmakers quit amid crippling strike (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2011
- Naidu continues fast, all-party meet fails to break impasse (Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Congress, TDP split on Telangana ahead of all-party meet - Jan 04, 2010
- Chiranjeevi's Praja Rajyam Party to merge with Congress - Feb 06, 2011
- Congress, TDP, TRS issue whips to legislators - Dec 04, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, chiranjeevi, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, electoral alliance, electoral alliances, left parties, Lok Sabha, prakash karat, telugu desam party