CPI-M questions Mamata’s felicitation of KKRMay 30th, 2012 - 4:27 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 30 (IANS) The CPI-M Wednesday asked why the West Bengal government gave a rousing reception to a private corporate team Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) after it won the IPL.
The party also criticised the alleged financial discrepancies that has marred the Indian Premier League (IPL) and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
“Lakhs of rupees have been spent by the state government to felicitate KKR,” said an editorial in the CPI-M mouthpiece Ganashakti.
“The Trinamool Congress has carried out a political campaign in the name of felicitation. Team owner Shah Rukh Khan received more limelight than the players,” it said.
“Is the victory of KKR in true sense an achievement for Bengal? Does genuine cricket have a place in IPL?
“IPL is full of scandals. In 2009, IPL was taken away to South Africa by Lalit Modi. Most matches in South Africa were (allegedly) fixed. At that time without the permission of the RBI (Reserve Bank of India), there were monetary transactions of Rs.243 crore,” it said.
The paper said both IPL and BCCI had been served 190 notices by the Enforcement Directorate and the BCCI was yet to pay Rs.1,077 crore as income tax to the government.
“Shashi Tharoor lost his ministry because of financial discrepancies in IPL. The financial irregularities of Lalit Modi have already come out in the open. Then the question is why (did) the state government give recognition to such a tournament which is marred by controversies?”
Kolkata virtually came to a standstill Tuesday to watch KKR’s victory parade culminating in a gala felicitation.
- CPI-M, Congress question Mamata's felicitation of KKR (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Mamata flays critics of SRK felicitation - May 31, 2012
- Shah Rukh bats for Mamata, answers critics - May 29, 2012
- Mamata government celebrating anniversary of misrule: CPI-M - May 20, 2012
- KKR felicitation a mix of politics, sports and entertainment (West Bengal newsletter) - Jun 01, 2012
- Mamata to felicitate IPL champs KKR - May 28, 2012
- Mamata trying to gag opposition: CPI-M - Feb 12, 2012
- CPI-M ridicules Mamata for 'record' number of inquiry panels - Sep 02, 2012
- CPI-M attacks government for IPL irregularities - Apr 25, 2010
- CPI-M mocks Mamata's industrial revolution remark - Nov 01, 2011
- CPI-M mocks at PM's initiatives to tackle corruption - Jan 02, 2012
- KKR jamboree: Bengal Inc. counts losses - May 29, 2012
- Declare West Bengal drought a national calamity: CPI-M - Sep 12, 2010
- CPI-M slams UPA's idea of 'Har Hath Mein Phone' - Aug 12, 2012
- Kolkata bracing up for extending warm felicitation to victorious Knights (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
Tags: bank of india, enforcement directorate, felicitation, financial irregularities, india bcci, ipl, kkr, knight riders, kolkata, lakhs, lalit, monetary transactions, political campaign, reserve bank of india, rousing reception, shah rukh khan, trinamool congress, true sense, victory parade, west bengal government