CPI-M protests in SrinagarAugust 2nd, 2012 - 3:41 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Aug 2 (IANS) Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) supporters participated in an anti-price rise and anti-government protest led by party leader Muhammad Yusuf Tarigami in Srinagar Thursday.
Breaking the police cordon, CPI-M supporters led by the party’s state general secretary and legislator Tarigami stormed into the Press Enclave in the city, raising anti-government and anti-price rise slogans.
Speaking to IANS on the sidelines of these protests, Tarigami said: “The protest is against the new policy of food security, the bill for which is presently pending with the standing committee of the parliament”.
“We believe there should be an universal public distribution system,” he said.
“Our demand is that every family, irrespective of whether it is living below or above the poverty line, should be given 35 kg of food grain every month at the rate of Rs.2 a kg and the huge food grain stores where the grains are wasting should be released for this purpose.”
“We also demand that the Planning Commission’s highly dubious poverty estimates must be scrapped and these should not be made the basis for allotment of welfare funds,” Tarigami said.
The CPI-M leader also criticised the Jammu and Kashmir government for its alleged failure to curb corruption in the state.
- CPI-M, BJP protest petrol price hike in Srinagar (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Left seeks universal public distribution system - Jul 26, 2012
- Nexus between lawmakers, businessmen: CPI-M - Jul 20, 2011
- CPI-M holds rally in Kashmir to protest price rise - Apr 08, 2010
- A BJP protest in Srinagar - May 31, 2012
- Government exporting food, keeping people hungry: Brinda Karat - Aug 01, 2012
- Thousands court arrest as Left protests price rise (Intro Roundup) - Apr 08, 2010
- Thousands held as Left campaigns against price rise (Roundup) - Apr 08, 2010
- Release excess food for the poor: CPI-M - Jun 11, 2012
- Left organises nationwide protests against rising prices (Second Intro Roundup) - Apr 08, 2010
- Opposition attacks government on price-rise - Dec 07, 2011
- Opposition parties in Andhra protest petrol price hike - Jan 16, 2011
- MPs assure protesters of comprehensive Food Security Bill - Nov 29, 2011
- Cabinet meet likely Sunday on Lokpal, food security bills (Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
- CPI-M warns against raising cooking gas prices - Feb 06, 2010
Tags: allotment, aug 2, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, enclave, food grain, food security, general secretary, grain stores, jammu and kashmir government, muhammad yusuf, party leader, police cordon, poverty estimates, poverty line, public distribution system, rs 2, standing committee, welfare funds