CPI-M lost touch with ground reality, concedes YechuryMay 24th, 2009 - 4:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 24 (IANS) Senior Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Sitaram Yechury has admitted that the party had “lost touch” with the ground reality in its bastions of West Bengal and Kerala.
In an interview on CNN-IBN’s “Devil’s Advocate” programme, Yechury said: “Of course, the results show that we lost touch (with the ground reality). It is a big debacle.”
When asked if party general secretary Prakash Karat would resign owning up the defeat, Yechury only said: “Resignation is an escape from responsibility. We will collectively assess (the reasons for the debacle).”
He agreed: “The top leadership will have to take up a leadership role.”
“A serious, honest, self-critical review of all the issues will be done,” he said, adding that the issue of alleged leadership failure “would also be discussed”.
“The process has already begun and by middle of June we will come to a conclusion,” he said.
“You cannot escape the reality that this is a big debacle for the party. This is the first time in the last two decades that a secular government is being formed without the role of the CPI-M,” he said.
The CPI-M’s Lok Sabha tally slipped to just 16 from 43 in 2004.
- CPI-M fumes at denial of site in Agartala for rally - Jan 28, 2012
- China to lead world economy by 2025: Karat - Jan 30, 2012
- Left parties to discuss stand over presidential poll - Jun 21, 2012
- Singur, Nandigram proved costly but Left still relevant: CPI-M (Lead) - Jun 12, 2011
- Achuthanandan seeks Vijayan's removal from CPI-M post - May 20, 2012
- CPI-M politburo meets to discuss poll debacle - Jun 10, 2011
- Karat says he can't be blamed for Bengal rout - May 17, 2011
- CPI-M for more women members - Feb 01, 2012
- CPI-M begins introspection on poll debacle (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- 'Budget ineffective, clerical; will burden common man' (Second Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Govt. must explain appointment of Thomas in Parliament: Yechury - Mar 03, 2011
- Achuthanandan's candidature in state unit's hands - Mar 05, 2011
- Make 100 sittings mandatory for parliament: Yechury - May 13, 2012
- CPI-M's Bengal conference to discuss poll debacle - Feb 15, 2012
- Communist movement won't fail in India: Prakash Karat - Jan 29, 2012
Tags: bastions, cnn, cnn ibn, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, critical review, debacle, devil s advocate, general secretary, ground reality, kerala, leadership failure, leadership role, Lok Sabha, prakash karat, resignation, secular government, sitaram yechury, west bengal