CPI-M legislator remanded in custody in murder case (Lead)August 13th, 2012 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
Kannur/Kochi, Aug 13 (IANS) CPI-M legislator T.V.Rajesh, an accused in the murder of a Muslim League activist, was Monday remanded in judicial custody till Aug 27 after the Kerala High Court rejected his anticipatory bail plea.
Earlier, the court struck a double blow to the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) by dismissing bail pleas of both Rajesh and jailed Kannur district party secretary P.Jayarajan, in the murder of Indian Union Muslim League worker Abdul Shukoor in February this year.
By around 2.15 p.m., after the high court rejected his bail plea, Rajesh surrendered at the Kannur chief judicial magistrate court and it sent him to the Kannur jail.
Later, senior party leader M.V.Jayarajan told reporters that the CPI-M will seek legal recourse and a fresh bail application will be moved Tuesday.
Rajesh, the legislator from Kalliaserry, appeared in good spirits and waved to his party supporters before being taken to the Kannur jail.
The Kerala High Court also denied bail to Kannur district party secretary P. Jayarajan, who is in judicial custody for his alleged involvement in Shukoor’s murder. He was arrested Aug 1.
Jayarajan’s counsel Aug 4 moved a bail plea at the Kannur chief judicial magistrate court and when it was rejected, he moved the high court, which too rejected it Monday.
Soon after Jayarajan’s arrest, Rajesh sensing arrest moved the high court for anticipatory bail. But the court denied it too. More than two dozen people belonging to the CPI-M and its affiliates have been arrested in the murder of the 21-year-old Shukoor.
Shukoor was allegedly murdered in retaliation for an attack by suspected Muslim League workers on Jayarajan and CPI-M leader T.V.Rajesh.
The Indian Union Muslim League is the second biggest constituent of the ruling Congress-led United Democratic Front.
Reacting to the court ruling, former health minister and CPI-M central committee member P.K. Sreemathi said that one is baffled by the way things are shaping up because there is no evidence to link Jayarajan in this case. “This is cruel,” said Sreemathi.
- Bail denied to Kerala CPI-M leaders in murder case - Aug 13, 2012
- CPI-M legislator, 32 others charged in IUML worker murder - Aug 23, 2012
- Kerala legislator gets bail in murder case - Aug 21, 2012
- CPI(M) MLA Rajesh denied bail, Jayarajan's remand extended - Aug 14, 2012
- IUML worker's murder: Kerala CPI-M leader gets bail - Aug 27, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader denied bail in murder case - Aug 04, 2012
- Decision on arrested Kerala CPI-M leader's bail Saturday - Aug 03, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader arrested in murder case - Aug 01, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader held for murder, party calls shutdown (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Shutdown in Kerala over CPI-M leader's arrest - Aug 02, 2012
- CPI-M worker killed during Kerala shutdown (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Congress MP ready to be quizzed by police, CPI-M leaders not keen - Jul 02, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M facing tough times (Letter from Kerala) - Jun 30, 2012
- The killing fields of Kerala - Jun 01, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader gets bail in murder case (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: bail plea, bail pleas, central committee member, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, democratic front, double blow, former health, health minister, judicial custody, judicial magistrate, kerala high court, kochi, legal recourse, m central, magistrate court, muslim league, party secretary, party supporters