CPI-M leader shot dead in NandigramAugust 6th, 2008 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 6 (IANS) A Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader was shot dead Wednesday afternoon, allegedly by members of Bhoomi Uchhed Protirodh Committee (BUPC), at Nandigram in West Bengal’s East Midnapore district, the police said. “CPI-M leader Niranjan Mondal was shot dead at Nandigram’s Rajaramchak area Wednesday around 4 p.m. The party activists are holding BUPC responsible for the incident. But we cannot take any name till we are done with our investigation,” officer-in-charge of Nandigram police station Debasis Chakraborty told IANS.
Police sources said that Mondal was shot in the back and head while returning home on his motorbike. He was the president of the CPI-M ’s Rajaramchak local committee.
Niranjan Sihi, a CPI-M leader at Nandigram, said: “We are sure Mondal was shot by BUPC members. They are deliberately spreading violence because they can’t tolerate that people are slowly taking our side. We have repeatedly asked for police protection for a long time but have been denied till date.”
Another CPI-M leader was allegedly shot at in Nandigram Sonachura area Tuesday night. He has been hospitalised.
Asok Gudia, CPI-M district secretariat member, said: “We have called for a 12-hour shutdown at five blocs of Nandigram - Nandigram I & II, Chandipur, Bheria and Nandagram - to protest these repeated attacks on our party members.”
- Tension grips Nandigram over CPI-M shutdown - Aug 07, 2008
- CPI-M activist shot dead in Nandigram (Lead) - Aug 07, 2008
- Five years on, Nandigram feels forgotten and betrayed - Jan 03, 2012
- At least 10 injured in renewed Nandigram violence (Lead) - Aug 12, 2008
- Nandigram tense after CPI-M activists fire at rivals - Aug 08, 2008
- I have not been informed about all party meeting: Mamata - Aug 09, 2008
- Maoists kill CPI-M supporter in Bengal - Dec 02, 2010
- Shutdown in Nandigram after Trinamool leader shot dead - Sep 23, 2009
- Former CPI-M MP arrested in Nandigram case - Mar 17, 2012
- No paramilitary deployment in Nandigram - Aug 09, 2008
- Clashes after Trinamool leader shot dead by CPI-M workers - Sep 07, 2010
- CPI-M leader questions Nandigram accused's induction - Mar 20, 2012
- Eight held for Netai carnage in Bengal (Lead) - Mar 14, 2011
- Former CPI-M MP arrested in Nandigram case (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- CPI-M leaders' killing: CID custody for four arrested - Mar 05, 2012
Tags: blocs, bupc, chandipur, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, gudia, kolkata, local committee, m district, midnapore district, mondal, niranjan, party activists, party members, police protection, police sources, returning home, wednesday afternoon, west bengal