CPI-M denounces India’s Syria voteFebruary 6th, 2012 - 10:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 6 (IANS) The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Monday denounced India’s vote for a UN resolution condemning the crackdown in Syria and called for diplomatic efforts to bring peace to Syria.
Recalling that India had abstained during a similar vote on Libya, the CPI-M said: “It was this resolution … which paved the way for the US and NATO to launch a military attack and effect a regime change there.”
It said the current resolution on Syria sponsored by the Arab League with Western backing would have led to a similar situation but for its veto by Russia and China.
“The explanation provided by the (Indian) government obfuscates the fact that a serious attempt is on to foment a civil war in Syria, and armed groups and weaponry are being sent inside with the help of NATO allies in the region.
“Further, the talk of intervention on the basis of democratic rights and liberties in Syria is hypocritical given the record of many Arab League members like Saudi Arabia who have the full backing of the West for their despotic regimes,” a CPI-M statement said.
The CPI-M urged the Indian government to declare “that it is against all efforts to destabilize the situation in Syria, and that diplomatic efforts be pursued for a solution”.
- Syria vote not for regime change: India - Feb 06, 2012
- India's foreign policy under threat due to US pressure: CPI-M - Mar 04, 2012
- BRICS summit faces Syria wall - Mar 26, 2012
- India, US to brainstorm on Syria, Iran - Aug 16, 2012
- Human Rights Watch hails India vote on Syria - Feb 05, 2012
- BRICS says dialogue only answer for Syria, Iran - Mar 29, 2012
- India listens in on Iran conference on Syria - Aug 09, 2012
- India backs move against Assad, rights body pats Delhi (Roundup) - Feb 05, 2012
- Amid Russia's warning, India and US to discuss Syria - Aug 22, 2012
- Russia sets conditions on peacekeeping mission to Syria - Feb 14, 2012
- India bats for UN-led resolution of Syria crisis - Aug 14, 2012
- Syria appreciates BRICS stand on sovereignty - Mar 30, 2012
- Concerned India backs democracy transition in Syria (Intro Roundup) - Feb 05, 2012
- India votes for Syria resolution in UN General Assembly - Feb 17, 2012
- NATO chief rules out intervention in Syria, Iran - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: arab league, civil war, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, crackdown, democratic rights, despotic regimes, diplomatic efforts, indian government, league members, liberties, libya, military attack, nato allies, New Delhi, regime change, saudi arabia, veto, weaponry