CPI-M demands quota in private educational institutionsAugust 16th, 2008 - 9:38 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Aug 16 (IANS) Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) general secretary Prakash Karat Saturday called for a law that will ensure reservation for the scheduled castes (SC), scheduled tribes (ST) and other backward classes (OBCs) in all private educational institutions. Karat was addressing a convention of schedule castes organised by the CPI-M state unit here Saturday.
He said an act has already been passed which ensures reservation for SCs, STs and OBCs in educational institutions run by the central government.
“But the bill to bring such reservation in all private higher educational institution is still pending. We demand of the UPA government to bring the bill which will ensure reservation in all private educational institutions.”
He said because of commercialization and privatization of education, more and more higher educational institutions are thrown out of the purview of reservation.
Karat also called for job reservation in the private sector.
“Most of the private sector undertakings are not really private. Many private industries are actually heavily subsidized by the state. Since such industries are run with state’s resources, the state has a claim to ask of them for statutory reservation for SCs and STs,” Karat said.
- Lok Sabha passes amended OBC quota bill - May 16, 2012
- Udit Raj welcomes decision on Lokpal reservations - Dec 21, 2011
- Mayawati demands constitution amendment for SC/ST quota (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Posts for SCs, STs lie vacant in central universities - Aug 20, 2012
- Delhi to increase loan amount for minorities, Dalits - Nov 16, 2011
- Cabinet approval for Lokpal bill likely Monday (Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Rape cases against SC and ST women increasing - Mar 13, 2012
- Bengal passes bill on 17 percent OBC reservation - Jul 06, 2012
- 'Quashing reservation in promotions goes against SCs, STs' - May 03, 2012
- Amend statute for job promotions to SCs, STs: Mayawati - Apr 30, 2012
- Court notice to Kendriya Vidyalayas on admitting poor students - Feb 09, 2012
- Rajya Sabha passes amended central institutions act - Apr 27, 2012
- PM should be covered by Lokpal: CPI-M - Jul 02, 2011
- All-party meeting on job promotion quota Aug 21 (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- OBC quota in panchayats, civic agencies valid: Apex court (Lead) - May 11, 2010
Tags: castes, central government, commercialization, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, educational institution, general secretary, higher educational institutions, job, prakash karat, private educational institutions, private industries, private sector, privatization of education, purview, quota, sector undertakings, sts, tribes