CPI-M arrogance caused Left defeat: Forward BlocJune 2nd, 2010 - 3:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 2 (IANS) The Forward Bloc Wednesday blamed the “arrogance and bureaucratic attitude” of the leaders of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) for the worst performance of the Left Front coalition in the West Bengal civic polls.
Forward Bloc general secretary Debabrata Biswas also urged the CPI-M’s middle level leaders in the state to shed their arrogance.
“In (municipal areas), the bureaucratic approach and arrogant attitude of the leaders cost the Left dearly. The people hate such attitude. That is the main cause of the Left’s dismal show,” Biswas told IANS.
The Sunday battle was considered a semi-final ahead of next year’s make-or-break assembly elections at a time when the Left Front, which has ruled West Bengal since 1977, is facing its most serious challenge to power.
Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress has won the prestigious Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) with a huge margin and is leading in most municipalities. Elections were held in 81 corporations, including KMC.
Asked whether all the Left leaders are arrogant and bureaucratic, Biswas blamed the CPI-M. “They (CPI-M) are the leaders in these areas. They should shed this culture, which is anti-Left.”
He admitted “there is no change in the electorate’s mood” in West Bengal even after the CPI-M-led government took several pro-people steps after it suffered a huge setback in the Lok Sabha election last year.
Biswas also said it was up to the ruling Left Front to decide whether early assembly elections to be conducted.
“They (Trinamool Congress) have every right to claim early assembly polls in the state. They are victorious. But it is up to the leaders of the Left Front to decide when the polls should be held,” he said.
Biswas, however, said the results reflected “the verdict of only 16 percent electorate in West Bengal”.
- Mamata tsunami hits Left, Congress still a factor (Roundup) - Jun 02, 2010
- CPI-M arrogance caused Left's defeat: Forward Bloc - Jun 23, 2010
- Gurudas Dasgupta slams CPI-M for debacle - May 18, 2011
- Trinamool passes popularity test, with twin failures (West Bengal newsletter) - Jun 09, 2012
- CPI-M kept us in dark on policy making, says Left partner - May 17, 2011
- Karat says he can't be blamed for Bengal rout - May 17, 2011
- Railways, Kolkata municipality to be asked to remove Mamata's photos - Mar 25, 2011
- Trinamool won't join hands with Congress for Tripura polls - Jun 17, 2012
- Left on its way out in West Bengal, admits leader (Interview) - Jun 03, 2010
- CPI-M rejects Mamata's demand for early Bengal polls - Jun 02, 2010
- Mamata hints at siphoning of funds during Left's rule - Aug 22, 2011
- Left Front allies blame corruption, policies for rout - Jun 03, 2010
- Bengal polls: Campaigning for fifth phase ends - May 05, 2011
- CPI-M rejects Mamata's demand for early Bengal polls (Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
- Trinamool launches campaign to oust Left from Tripura - Aug 20, 2011
Tags: arrogance, arrogant attitude, assembly elections, assembly polls, biswas, civic polls, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, debabrata, electorate, general secretary, kmc, level leaders, lok sabha election, mamata banerjee, municipal areas, railway minister, trinamool congress, west bengal