CPI hits out against ‘intolerance’ of Mamata governmentApril 20th, 2012 - 11:42 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 20 (IANS) Coming down heavily on West Bengal’s Mamata Banerjee government for “intolerance” of criticism and “vindictiveness” against political opponents, the Communist Party of India Friday said it would raise these issues at the national level.
“Things like attack on personal freedom, vindictiveness against political opponents are not going to create a good public impression. Banning some newspapers in public libraries smacks of intolerance coupled with insecurity at any criticism. This is against democratic values,” CPI General Secretary Suravaram Sudhakar Reddy told mediapersons here.
Reddy said the people will not tolerate such an approach in the long run.
He said guidance is being given on which newspapers to read. “This is not a proper atmosphere for democracy.”
“We will take up all these issues across the country. Many people outside are worried at what is happening in Bengal,” he added.
- Bengal library ban on leading English, Bengali papers slammed - Mar 28, 2012
- Bengal ban on English, Bengali papers slammed - Mar 28, 2012
- Mamata's honeymoon with media seems to be over (West Bengal Newsletter) - Apr 01, 2012
- Mamata government intolerant, tries to evade responsibility: Left - Aug 23, 2012
- Congress urges Mamata to withdraw circular curbing newspapers - Apr 02, 2012
- Intellectuals protest Mamata regime's 'irrationality' - Apr 17, 2012
- Binayak Sen urges 'intolerant' Bengal to change policies - May 04, 2012
- Mamata acting in an immature manner: Justice Katju - Apr 18, 2012
- Cartoonist sent to judicial custody, government faces flak on issue (Roundup) - Sep 10, 2012
- Mrinal, Mahashweta lash out against Mamata's newspaper ban - Mar 28, 2012
- Time not yet ripe for third front: CPI - Apr 20, 2012
- IAC demands cartoonist Trivedi's release - Sep 10, 2012
- Did Mamata-Hillary talk about foreign investment in retail? (West Bengal Newsletter) - May 13, 2012
- Mamata trying to gag opposition: CPI-M - Feb 12, 2012
- Partial fascism or right move - Bengal divided on Mamata's act - Apr 14, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,