Court summons wives of Punjab chief minister, deputy chief ministerApril 28th, 2009 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, April 28 (IANS) A court here has asked Surinder Kaur, wife of Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and Harsimrat Kaur, wife of Punjab Deputy Chief Minister and Akali Dal chief Sukhbir Singh Badal to appear before it May 4.
Additional civil judge J.S. Sidhu issued the summons to Surinder and Harsimrat late Monday in an almost eight-year old case of recovery of Rs.82,032 from the Badal family, filed by former additional director of the state’s information and public relations department. The case was filed in November 2001.
The court has also asked Kirpal Singh Badungar, who was then officer on special duty (OSD) to Parkash Singh Badal, and five others to appear in the court May 4.
According to the complainant Jagdip Chowhan, he had in 1998 and 1999, spent nearly Rs.150,000 from his own pocket for the publicity of Sukhbir Badal and his other family members in various districts of Punjab.
“Normally a government official does not participate in such activities but I did on the directions of Parkash Singh Badal,” Chowhan told IANS Tuesday.
Chowhan said Badal had provided him a private taxi and assured him that the amount he spent would be reimbursed. “I arranged extensive coverage in both electronic and print media. I provided services of famous Punjabi singers for political rallies. In this whole process, I had to take loans from my friends and relatives,” he said, adding these were still outstanding.
He said when he asked the Badals for the money, they had allegedly implicated him in a false case, in which he was later given a clean chit by the court.
“I have no money to pay the fees, that is why I have filed a petition for only Rs.82,032 out of my total expenditure of Rs.150,000,” Chowhan said.
- Badal withdraws defamation cases against Sonia, Amarinder - Oct 30, 2010
- Court allows Badal's plea to withdraw case against Amarinder - Oct 16, 2010
- At 84, Parkash Singh Badal towers over all - Mar 07, 2012
- Will Badal be NDA choice for vice president? (Punjab Newsletter) - May 04, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.250 crore (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Badal, family acquitted in disproportionate assets case - Oct 01, 2010
- Badal's wife passes away after prolonged illness - May 24, 2011
- At 84, Badal begins fifth innings as chief minister (Profile) - Mar 14, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.200 crore - Jan 12, 2012
- Punjab slapgate: Headman arrested, bailed out - Dec 07, 2011
- Relatives find enough place in Badal cabinet - Mar 13, 2012
- Mohali Court acquits Badal family in disproportionate assets case - Oct 01, 2010
- Badal's wife passes away, cremation Wednesday (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Punjab slapgate gets wider; protestors caned before Badal - Dec 07, 2011
- Thousands attend Surinder Badal's cremation - May 25, 2011
Tags: badal family, civil judge, clean chit, complainant, court summons, deputy chief minister, districts of punjab, false case, family members, government official, j s sidhu, old case, osd, parkash singh badal, petition, political rallies, private taxi, publicity, punjabi singers, relatives