Court summons Chautala in teachers recruitment scamJuly 16th, 2008 - 10:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 16 (IANS) A city court Wednesday asked former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala to appear before it Aug 20 after it took cognizance of a charge-sheet filed by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) against him in a teachers’ recruitment scam of 2003. The charge-sheet also names his son and former MP Ajay Chautala, two Indian Administrative Services (IAS) officers and 56 others.
According to CBI, the accused used forged documents to appoint 3,206 Junior Basic Trained (JBT) teachers after taking hefty amounts from them, which could collectively run into millions of rupees.
CBI Special Judge R.K Yadav issued notice to the accused for Aug 20.
Sanjiv Kumar, a self-proclaimed whistle-blower who was then director of primary education, and Chautala’s former Officer on Special Duty (OSD) Vidya Dhar are the two IAS officers named in the charge-sheet, which was filed June 6.
The CBI alleged that the appointments were made on the basis of a second set of final interview list prepared at the behest of the former chief minister, his son Ajay Chautala, who was then a Lok Sabha member, Vidya Dhar, political advisor Sher Singh Badsami, and primary education director Sanjiv Kumar, who had played an active role in the process.
The case was registered on the basis of the Supreme Court’s order of November 2003. Originally, a preliminary enquiry was registered by the investigating agency, which was later converted into a regular case in May 2004.
The CBI subsequently also registered a disproportionate assets case against Chautala and conducted searches against him at a number of places in Delhi and Haryana.
- Teachers' jobs scam: Court paves way for Chautala's trial - Jul 28, 2011
- Court summons Chautala, grants bail to 56 in teachers' scam - Aug 20, 2008
- 'Hooda falsely implicated me to grab power' - Jun 01, 2012
- CBI chargesheets Chautala in teachers's scam - Jun 06, 2008
- Apex court clears way for Chautala brothers' prosecution (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Chautala gets interim bail in graft case - May 03, 2010
- CBI court frames charges against Haryana IAS officer - Feb 18, 2010
- Court issues notice to CBI on Chautala plea - May 05, 2011
- Ajay Singh Chautala seeks quashing of corruption charges, trial - Jan 03, 2012
- High court refuses to stay graft case against Chautala - Sep 19, 2011
- Graft case against Chautala brothers stayed (Lead) - Oct 22, 2010
- Apex court rejects Chautala brothers' plea - Jul 04, 2011
- Hearing adjourned on Chautala son's plea against graft charges - Sep 17, 2010
- Chautala's interim bail extended in graft case - May 04, 2010
- Haryana panel formed on takeover of Chautala trusts - Aug 24, 2011
Tags: ajay, behest, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chautala, chief minister, cognizance, court summons, dhar, education director, final interview, indian administrative services, investigating agency, lok sabha member, primary education, rupees, sanjiv kumar, special judge, whistle blower, yadav