Court strikes down Maharashtra caste panelsMay 4th, 2012 - 8:04 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 4 (IANS) The Bombay High Court Friday struck down the Maharashtra government-appointed caste scrutiny committees which issued around 27,000 caste verification certificates in the past few months.
Accordingly, all certificates issued by these panels have been automatically rendered void.
The ruling by the division bench of Justice Ajay Manikrao Khanwilkar and Justice Nitin Jamdar put a question mark on the future of hundreds of elected representatives who used provisional certificates issued by these panels for filing nominations for local body and civic elections.
The order came on a bunch of 100-odd petitions filed by candidates who lost the elections and alleged that bogus certificates were issued by the committees.
The court struck down a state government decision of July 30, 2011 that ordered the setting up of the caste scrutiny committees in districts.
The judges ordered the government to confiscate all caste certificates issued by these committees so far within the next three months.
The court stayed the operation of the order for 10 weeks to enable the state government file an appeal in the Supreme Court.
In the past few months, elections were held for several zila parishads, panchayat samitis, municipal councils and municipal corporations. Provisional caste verification certificates were issued to thousand of candidates by the district collectors.
In earlier elections, the candidates who won the elections were given a few months’ time to submit their caste verification certificates.
In the recent polls, as per the amended rules, the candidates were required to compulsorily submit provisional caste verification certificates along with their nomination papers.
- Tripura lawmaker nailed for false Scheduled Caste tag - Aug 07, 2012
- 'Communication gap' led to Rs.1 cr seizure, says Patil's son (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- No access to quota benefits after conversion: Court - Mar 07, 2011
- Tripura legislator accused of faking caste certificate - Aug 09, 2012
- IOA president's election: Abhay Chautala may take on Randhir - Sep 13, 2012
- Out of work dyers, company owners to contest Tamil Nadu seat - Mar 25, 2011
- Chhattisgarh to simplify caste certification process - Aug 22, 2012
- 801 nominations for Punjab polls rejected - Jan 14, 2012
- Can't forge signature, says Pranab; Team Sangma to move court (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Poll panel rejects Sangma's plea against Pranab (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Panel in week to examine school fee hike: Court told - Sep 09, 2011
- Delhi High Court reserves order on gurdwara - Feb 22, 2012
- Update Delhi gurdwara poll voters' list, says court - Feb 08, 2012
- Purno Sangma to file election petition Tuesday - Aug 18, 2012
- Delhi appeals single judge order on gurdwara election - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: ajay, bombay high court, caste, committees, division bench, government decision, maharashtra government, municipal corporations, municipal councils, nitin, nomination papers, petitions, provisional certificates, question mark, scrutiny, state government, three months, verification certificates, who won the elections, zila